Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Union Or Not

Any union exposure I have had outside aviation eventually leads to a US/them attitude and plenty of childish behavoir luckily they were only temporary jobs

A professionalism training authority may be more appropriate and would probably produce better results but hey thats another thread all together ;)

DSL

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This appears to be somewhat of a touchy subject. I have been in this industry for about 14 years now and have worked for a couple of operators, during good times and bad.

While I am not a big proponent of unions, I do not agree that they are just there to keep lazy, poor employees working. It is the responsibility of management to document and correctly retrain, or through progressive discipline straighten the employee out. It allows the employee a chance to rectify the situation and become a better more productive person. Should they choose not to get it together they can then be dismissed. The beauty is that it also protects all of us, good or bad, from being fired just cause the boss is pissed off, or in a ****** mood.

I personally dont want to see the industry unionized, but I would like to see pilots and engineers work collectively to set out some standards, and should people need support, then it would be nice to see us all support each other.

Well thats just my opinion.

This appears to be somewhat of a touchy subject. I have been in this industry for about 14 years now and have worked for a couple of operators, during good times and bad.

While I am not a big proponent of unions, I do not agree that they are just there to keep lazy, poor employees working. It is the responsibility of management to document and correctly retrain, or through progressive discipline straighten the employee out. It allows the employee a chance to rectify the situation and become a better more productive person. Should they choose not to get it together they can then be dismissed. The beauty is that it also protects all of us, good or bad, from being fired just cause the boss is pissed off, or in a ****** mood.

I personally dont want to see the industry unionized, but I would like to see pilots and engineers work collectively to set out some standards, and should people need support, then it would be nice to see us all support each other.

Well thats just my opinion.

A very commendable idea but we have already had Hepac, which seemed to have those same aims but has apparently fallen by the wayside. I read somewhere that there were only 75 members signed up, (I was one of the few), and if that is true, then those ideals seem to be a nonstarter.

In the helicopter industry, we tend to be individualists. It's how we work, and so most people are loathe to have others speak on our behalf.

The intent of HEPAC was meant to be a "representative" for its members in the association, to deal with things like funding for education, training, and mentoring. In time (with support,) it was to get life insurance, dental and extended health benefits also for its members.

It was disappointing to see the lack of support for something that had a lot of promise for the industry.

Perhaps in the future some others will try again.

I always felt that "speaking for others" in regards to the above mentioned goals would be a benefit....."not" trying to undermine anyones position or beliefs.

The intent of HEPAC was meant to be a "representative" for its members in the association, to deal with things like funding for education, training, and mentoring. In time (with support,) it was to get life insurance, dental and extended health benefits also for its members.

It was disappointing to see the lack of support for something that had a lot of promise for the industry.

I always felt that "speaking for others" in regards to the above mentioned goals would be a benefit....."not" trying to undermine anyones position or beliefs.

This HEPAC sounded like it was an excellent idea. does anyone know who it was that tried to start it? Perhaps the future is here.

Well I have to admit that H56 took the words out of my mouth here I was hoping that HEPAC would over the years become a good representative of the Pilots and Eng in this industry.

Yes maybe in the future.

JD