Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Union Or Not

Anything is possible! But Hepac would require the right leadership. From my undertanding of the matter the current Pres didn't have the time to deal with it and just got a new job with CHC. There will never be a union as the word its self scares the crap out of most.

The leadership seemed un prepared to deal with issues that were of a concern last year and today particularly the matter of work permits in the crap job market and jobs were few and far between for all ,even Canadians. It should be noted that the OZ federation of pilots put there foot down with the Oz government on this. It was only a few well connected folk who took the initiative to bring the matter to the authorities.

Leadership requires BALLS. Hepac needs the type of leadership that will take on a brawl with a gorrila!and not give a crap about self preservation. Any takers?????

That is all

P5

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HEPAC leadership had plenty of courage and ambition; consider the work resumes of Blackmac and Helilog56, for example. It's the rest of us who let them down. We were too busy working or playing or spending time with our families to get the thing going.

While we active and lurking participants of the VertMag forum are hardly representative of the industry at large, just look how much we squabble and complain! Can you imagine a bunch of us sitting down together to ratify a union constitution, let alone an employment contract? It boggles the mind!

"Collectively" we're not suffering enough to find or build unity.

Go Canada Go!!!

Dick

HEPAC leadership had plenty of courage and ambition; consider the work resumes of Blackmac and Helilog56, for example. It's the rest of us who let them down. We were too busy working or playing or spending time with our families to get the thing going.

While we active and lurking participants of the VertMag forum are hardly representative of the industry at large, just look how much we squabble and complain! Can you imagine a bunch of us sitting down together to ratify a union constitution, let alone an employment contract? It boggles the mind!

"Collectively" we're not suffering enough to find or build unity.

Go Canada Go!!!

Dick

I have no question about the "work resumes" of the past leadership. The direction of HEPAC was a good one, but when push came to shove the issues of SMS ( and it's accountable executive shortcommings) not to mention the 1500 or so 703-702 operators and the realistic time it will take to implement ( somewhere in 2020 at the current rate compared with the very few 705's and the time it took) Although an important issue to us all was not the nail bitter we needed to move the mass. Incentives like health care insurance,and a mentoring program are too important issues that the industry could use. Yet again to not sufficient to move the mass! What we really needed was an issue that would have inspired and motivated membership by demonstrating assistance to the whole group fast! Like measures to protect jobs for the membership! Sometimes it's nessesary to step out on the ledge and jump! So until next time!

Of course I could be totally wrong!

P5

I have no question about the "work resumes" of the past leadership. The direction of HEPAC was a good one, but when push came to shove the issues of SMS ( and it's accountable executive shortcommings) not to mention the 1500 or so 703-702 operators and the realistic time it will take to implement ( somewhere in 2020 at the current rate compared with the very few 705's and the time it took) Although an important issue to us all was not the nail bitter we needed to move the mass. Incentives like health care insurance,and a mentoring program are too important issues that the industry could use. Yet again to not sufficient to move the mass! What we really needed was an issue that would have inspired and motivated membership by demonstrating assistance to the whole group fast! Like measures to protect jobs for the membership! Sometimes it's nessesary to step out on the ledge and jump! So until next time!

Of course I could be totally wrong!

P5

"QUOTE FROM ANOTHER THREAD"

As you are all aware PILOT5 is going to remake HEPAC from an Assoc. to a UNION, how I don't know.

If PILOT5 is successful and all the Pilots and AME's go on strike at the beginning of May, the companies would be forced to negotiate with the UNION and all the CONTRACTORS, to accept higher wages, which will be reflected in an increase in the hourly rate. Once a UNION with BALLS gets in the act, things will change, MAYBE.

Thank you for taking the time to read this URGENT message.

In the meantime take a second JOB.

Pilot5, FYI;

Not knowing where you are coming from you are either on the wrong medication or should be on medication. For your info HEPAC was started in 2003, shelved for about five years and restarted with end result of 75 members, it's like beating a dead horse. When times are tough everybody wants somebody to look after them. Good times, couldn't care less, the attitude is, I am an individual an can look after myself.

For some unknown reason people expect something for nothing. You cannot form a strong association unless you have a strong membership to support it.

HAC will always fight against the engineers and pilots forming an assoc., why I don't know. Since deregulation the marketplace has gained control of the helicopter industry and are basically telling the operators what they will pay in rates, and of course every company can't wait to undercut the already low rate. Low rates effect everything.

I could write a book on how stupid the helicopter industry is on dealing with contractors and TCCA in general, including HRDC.

Has anybody ever questioned why there is such a large turnover of Director Generals of TCCA.

Possibly the incompetence of the whole section!!!!!!

So be it.

Don

Pilot5, FYI;

"Not knowing where you are coming from you are either on the wrong medication or should be on medication."

I certainly hope that the leadership of such an association would choose his or her words a little more carefully. This type of language tends to put folks on the defensive and cannot lead to a productive solution. Herein may be the problem??

Whois the leader now? Just curious?

P5

Guest Angry Egg Driver
I could write a book on how stupid the helicopter industry is on dealing with contractors and TCCA in general, including HRDC.

So be it.

Don

When referring to contractors are you talking contract engineers and pilots?

What we really needed was an issue that would have inspired and motivated membership by demonstrating assistance to the whole group fast! Like measures to protect jobs for the membership!

Please can you precise your thought? Because this describes accurately what an union is...

Other associations like the OZ federation of pilots, plays a key role in protecting jobs for its citizens through lobbying the government on many issues. It would be a good idea if we had a collective voice to do the same.

Clear enough.

A union in Canada for an industry with many small companies all over the place is simply not practical and impossible to accomplish under the laws that exist. An association to speak as a collective voice with respect to our interets is not. HAC represents the interest of the companies why not a voice for the employees?

P5

pilot5;

Without getting into re-hashing the whole HEPAC scenario, everything you are talking about was covered a long time ago and some. I would have thought you would off had enough sense to do a little research prior to making comments about unions on this web site. It is a sensitive subject to some people.

Have a great non union/association day.

Cheers, Don