Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Help! Should I Become An Ame At Age 32?

HeavyD

Hello all, I am new to this excellent forum. After leaving my job as a jail guard :angry: (just couldn't take it anymore) I need a new career. Since I can remember I have enjoyed aviation but my eyes are too bad to ever fly. I was thinking of being an AME but at my age (32) I want to make the right choice. I have been told by most schools out there that the jobs are plentiful...am I being fed a line? Is an M career better than an S (structures)? What are the pros /cons of each? Is this going to be a rewarding career? If you posters could redo your career choice, would you become an AME again?

Thanks for any input anyone can give a slightly-older person having a tough time deciding his career!

Diddo what #### said, take some time and research old topics and threads and you'll get a pretty good idea of what's out there.

As far as your age, it doesn't mean sh*t, specially when you consider how spoiled and lazy some of those kids coming out of college are!!!!

To be honest, I would rather hire a guy with no education or experience if he's mechanically inclined and has excellent references. rather than hire some college punk that has no work history. (now now you guys, don't get all excited! I'm not saying all college kids are punks, I went to college and was given a break like everyone else! I'm just sayin the pattern developing as a general rule these days, is that less and less kids are raised with good honest hard working ethics is all I'm sayin! So back off!!!!!!! :D)

Anyways, like Magman said, once you have an M license, you'll have guaranteed work for the next 25 years unless they find a magic pill to give all those baby boomers back their youth and vitality!!!

32??? You're still a puppy... If it's what you want to do, go for it... I had a fellow working for me a while back who came out of tech school when he was +/- 48 years old!!! I used to tease him that he was the worlds oldest apprentice... Great guy who has now found himself a nice cushy retirement job fixing TC's airplanes...

Guest graunch1

I know two guys n their 50s who just came out of school. Of course they are retired from a former job where they had mechanical experience so taking the school course just made them more employable