Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anyone Do Interesting Contract Work Overseas?

HeavyD

I worked in the Maldives about 5 years ago as a pilot/engineer. It was a pretty good gig but it's mostly what you make of it. If you are stuck in Male all the time it can get a bit boring but doing shutdowns out at the resorts when I was flying was pretty good...

I'm actually heading back there next week, but this time I'm leaving the toolbox at home and I'm just gonna break them.. So with me flying it should be a job creation project for the engineers.... :shock: :up:

• 2 weeks later...

I did a 60 day stint in S. America a few years ago....working on two remote-sense Cheyenne's. 1 in Chile, and 1 in Bolivia. Was hotter than the Sun in Chile, 45C everyday....and the air too thin to breathe at 14,000 ft. in La Paz. I did enjoy the change in 'culture' tho. I got to be able to order beer in spanish even while really drunk....and anyone who tells you South American women are beautiful........well, he was NOT lying! All in all, pretty civilized down there...still a 3rd world country in Bolivia, but I felt quite safe there, but that could be as a result of hypoxia. Santiago, Chile is just another mega-city.....not much different from Vancouver or T.O. except the heat and everybody talked 'funny' BTW, even tho it sounds dumb, they will think you are an American unless you can prove otherwise.....so don't go down there without the "I am Canadian" t-shirts from your beer cases. Once they know you are indeed not a Gringo, they will be quite nice to you....but they still won't understand a single thing you say, nor you them....english is very un-common there. Local pilots can speak a bit, but not much. but over-all, I'd do it again in a minute....so..........? anybody have any work down there for a Bell medium AME? willing to travel...........lol