Low Timers

Are any low timers out there finding work? Is your company hiring any this year? Did they even hire any last year? Seems to be a lot of low timers still sweeping floors, after a few years. I've hear rumors that some companies are hiring. What are flight schools tell people the prospects for a job are? Seems like IFR work is booming for cougar. Hopefully I didn’t open a can of worms.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say for other companies, but I haven't seen our company hiring any. I think that our company has even been slow to hire higher time guys to see how the summer is going to pan out. With the economic down turn, there will be a natural propensity to wait to the last minute to hire guys. This of course will mean harder times for low time guys. That being said, I wish our company would hire a couple of low time guys <_< Keep at it if you truely want into this crazy industry. After the last few years I have wondered why I am still in it. Seems like I am finding more and more experienced pilots leaving the industry for other work.

Good luck. B)

Koala

Yea I have been working on the ground for two years. This year will be my third year working on the ground with word coming from management this week that there are no slots for someone like me. It is a little frustrating right now. But I’m also wondering what other companies are doing for low timers? Seeing a few jobs being posted for 1000+ hour guys is encouraging to hear.

The low timers at the company I work for seem to be in the same boat. They've been sweeping and washing for two years now too. I hope people enrolling in flight schools have done their homework.

Hang in there guys, things are looking up this year already, knock on wood.

Fellas!

Don't be discouraged! I am a high timer and I still sweep and unplug toilets! If only people could realise that it doesn't take half a roll of bum wadd to whipe yur ***! And then there is...those other questions...

Why didn't you leave a flight itinarry?

Who left that engine cowl open burnt the door and just flew by my office window?

Who forgot to close the hanger door with the heat blasting?

Who didn't tie down their blades?

Who didn't clean the AC and left it covered in mud for the next client to enjoy!??

Who pranged the blade coming into the hanger

Stop trying to land so close to the hanger!!!....It's not a competetion to see who can get closest.......

Who is the fuckkking slob that can't pick up after himself.........

Most common answer to the above "wasn't me!"

I could go on! paperwork and audits and SMS not included!

Moral of the rant! Enjoy the simple tasks fellas before you get promoted and your blood pressure rises! Sweeping and cleaning is way better than having to deal with anal forestry folk who live to report people over nothing! Just wait! And remember be carefull what you ask for!

Rant over!

P5

Not like I have anything useful to add.....but if you're young, isn't the best way to get stick time to be in the military? It's a sweet deal except that you have to be in the military....

(I'd never do it...but if you're really desperate for hours, couldn't that be an option?)

BUT those headaches come with a paycheque that allows you to pay rent on time, buy food that was grown instead of manufactured, and put gas in your rust bucket that allows you to get to work to enjoy unplugging the toilet when your non flying.

Pushing brooms may be peacefull, but it doesn't feed the family.

Just a thought from a former apprentice who really enjoys the stress involved with being licensed while making some money.

Not like I have anything useful to add.....but if you're young, isn't the best way to get stick time to be in the military? It's a sweet deal except that you have to be in the military....

(I'd never do it...but if you're really desperate for hours, couldn't that be an option?)

Well..............the problem with flying for the Military is that they have these pesky things they like to call.......................orders.

Which means no matter what the weather or the risk if the boss says you are going.........................................you are going.

And if there happens to be missiles and bullets involved it can get a little risky.

Also it is a long slog to build time as they just don't do as much flying.

Koala if your wondering why your still in the industry and you have forgot what you love about it when you started, must be time to move on. LOL

Stay positive heliguy44 there must be low time jobs out there I know 3 of them that have been called into numerous companies for check rides and interviews, they are out there because there is always a company that is willing to take on a keen low timer then a winnie high timer. light 'er up.