Low Timers

Things are picking up the base where I work, 1 of the "broom pushers are getting there training in the next few weeks. Plus the miners convention is going on as we speak so hopefully things are gonna pick up. Hang in there, I know I am tiring. :lol:

On another note has any other companies giving raises to there employees??

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..............the problem with flying for the Military is that they have these pesky things they like to call.......................orders.

Which means no matter what the weather or the risk if the boss says you are going.........................................you are going.

And if there happens to be missiles and bullets involved it can get a little risky.

Also it is a long slog to build time as they just don't do as much flying.

I never said it was a good idea. Just AN idea....

But of the relatively small number of pilots I do know, the most experienced ones are all ex-military. (Including Bell and Transport Canada guys)

I don;t know about Canada, having never served in Canadian forces. But having served in UK mil, trying for aircrew is not an easy option, chances of getting it are about as remote as a 100hr guy getting hired in this present economic climate. Very tough, but not imossible. Also the conversion of mil quals to JAA is not a process for the faint hearted either :lol:

My biggest regret after many years in the industry is not having a trade or other education to fall back on, for when times get tough or the novelty wears off. With family in tow, it makes a transition more challenging.

When I started however, no one was going to stop me, so persistence is the key. Have a solid back up plan, for when the doors don't open, however.

Our company won't look at anyone under 1000 hrs this year.

Low time pilots can get a leg up by getting educated regarding the company you are applying to. You can better allocate your job search resources this way, rather than traveling the country hoping for the best.

One of the things we tell young pilots when looking for good cheap ways of expanding their qualifications is to learn a language - preferably Spanish, then French. Only 21% of the world speaks English, and S America is looking to interesting soon.

Just a thought.

Phil

My biggest regret after many years in the industry is not having a trade or other education to fall back on, for when times get tough or the novelty wears off. With family in tow, it makes a transition more challenging.

Interesting comment.......... I met an ex-pilot today who is looking to get his AME license because after 30 years flying he has lost his medical. Should do good as he has a lot of a/c smarts to start with.

Interesting comment.......... I met an ex-pilot today who is looking to get his AME license because after 30 years flying he has lost his medical. Should do good as he has a lot of a/c smarts to start with.

As a pilot and a guy who worked in the real world If I lost my medical the last thing I would do is be an Engineer.

Over worked grossly underpaid. I could be home every night as 7-11 worker and have a better life than an AME. These guys are not paid what they are worth.

Just my 2 cents but whats my opinion worth.

:up: :)

As a pilot and a guy who worked in the real world If I lost my medical the last thing I would do is be an Engineer.

Over worked grossly underpaid. I could be home every night as 7-11 worker and have a better life than an AME. These guys are not paid what they are worth.

Just my 2 cents but whats my opinion worth.