Helmet

I know of a couple of guys who owe their lives to a helmet and a couple who would still be alive if they had been wearing one.

Lots of folks die from head injuries, fire or drowning - if you had a helmet on perhaps you would be able to exit before you drown or burn to death.

Just my opinion.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest JeffyG
I agree, When your time is up ...its up.. I tried a crash hat and felt that it made my days seem longer especially in the heat..I am much more happier and without one and my cutomers feel so much more safe

personal preference, i have NEVER had a customer complain, maybe once made a little joke about it but all in good humor... they understand.

i always fly with one now, gallet LH250 with the outer visor and shield removed, nice and light, quiet, takes out a lot of the fatigue after a long day.

lots of the noise that gets into your nogin does not just come through your ears, through your eye sockets and basically your whole skull.

do i find it TOO hot in the summer... only twice once moving a drill with the sun off my right, door, another on a fire when it was +36 out, should have just taken the door off but took the helmet off that afternoon, that was years ago.

i really dont see any downsize to it, plus with the wrong ball cap that little beenie button on top can really start to p*ss you off

hopefully you NEVER have to USE it but if there ever comes a time i would sure rather have it on then not..

jeff

I am one of the few who have had a nasty wreck and if I had not been wearing a helmet I would have been dead or brain damaged. I was wearing a Gallet at the time. Even with the help of the helmet I still received a severe concussion. THANK YOU GALLET!! The best $$ I ever spent! Some food for thought....

I am one of the few who have had a nasty wreck and if I had not been wearing a helmet I would have been dead or brain damaged. I was wearing a Gallet at the time. Even with the help of the helmet I still received a severe concussion. THANK YOU GALLET!! The best $$ I ever spent! Some food for thought....

Wow! Congratulations! Glad it saved you!

I know of at least two people (one bird strike and one crash) that survived the incident because of there helmet. Both cases the helmet were completely destroyed but both walked away. I have seen the damage a bird does and I wouldn't want to have any size bird hit me in the head at any speed. That being said I use a Gallet LH 250. Yellow outside and smoke inside. I find the yellow awesome in low/flat light situations. I also like the low profile of the Gallet. Lowers the C of G round the base of the neck in stead of the top of your head. It is hot, but find it workable. It is also small enough to longline in the Astar's with. The visor's flip up and down easily making it easier to transition from light to dark sections on final approach to a confine. The hush kit for the Gallet is well worth it. I have had mine now for 10 years and have replaced a few parts over that period, but generally a solid investment that has served me well. :)

koala

Sort of trying to be funny, but there is a serious undertone to that post. While some extol the virtues of helmets, I have yet in my 50 years in the industry seen any serious benefits. I have seen 3 cases where the blades sliced through the helmet ( Gord Wyatt) as if it wasn't even there. The other friends that I have lost, a helmet would have made no difference in the long run. Shock trauma, fire, etc. Get yourself a good headset, cool baseball cap, and be comfortable.

No offence Splitty, but that is a ridiculous statement that helmets do nothing, of course there are no garantee's..unfortunate for you friends. There are a lot more stories of helmets saving lives than not. Besides the safety value of a helmet, there are more and more customers that demand you either wear one or go home.

I personally have a Gallet 250, it's as good as it gets with a helmet, I just came home with 70 hrs of bent over looking through the astar window, and my neck feels fine! Not to sure why you wouldn't where one, would you ride a motorcycle with no helmet?

Wow! Congratulations! Glad it saved you!

History has proven that helmets save pilots lives and also passengers, when it keeps a pilot from going unconscious after a catastrophic failure and severe vibration from any cause. I've used one for 35 years. I've had very few passengers mentioning it and when they do I tell them that I wear it to save them as well and they can wear their own if they want. As most of us are probably aware some clients doing a lot of flying are doing just that. The only time a helicopter company refused to let me wear a helmet was at Abu Dhabi. They were too caught up in their airline image. Their uniform was also pretty stupid considering the climate.

No offence Splitty, but that is a ridiculous statement that helmets do nothing,

Well...Uh...Hmmm. Perhaps I was a tad hasty, but just "perhaps". You folks seem to be all together on this one. Is it to late for me to join?? :(:(

BTW Sirlandsalot, You think my statement was ridiculous?? You should see some of the crap that I have spouted over the years, that was nuthin!! :up: :up: