Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

R44

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had an R-44 for about 8 years and with the exception of pilot induced maintenance ( damage ) their cost seem to follow the cost of running outlined on Robinson's site.

Only the insurance and fuel costs seam to be low.

Fuel seems to vary from 12 gph to 15 gph

Operating cost low!?? You kidding me! include the cost at $250,000+ to rebuild the entire ship when your done your 2000 or so hours, or its scrap! It's a disposable helicopter!

Good if you don't have the cash for a 206 in decent shape, and must have a helicopter.

Add the fact that it looks like a flying oscar meyer wiener mobile and the choice is obvious.

Plus it's a piston so you either have to plug it in or hanger it in the winter. Try starting it after its been sitting ouside even in -5 for few hours....I reccomend a 1000' extension cord and a generator ( that could fit in the new wiener pod) or leak oil all over the seat cause it sure aint fitting in the huge baggage comparment under the seat. I'll also add that foresty just loves them and uses them all the time (NOT!)

Junk I say but thats just my opinion! Good private ship but not commercial!

p5

Operating cost low!?? You kidding me! include the cost at $250,000+ to rebuild the entire ship when your done your 2000 or so hours, or its scrap! It's a disposable helicopter!

Good if you don't have the cash for a 206 in decent shape, and must have a helicopter.

Add the fact that it looks like a flying oscar meyer wiener mobile and the choice is obvious.

Plus it's a piston so you either have to plug it in or hanger it in the winter. Try starting it after its been sitting ouside even in -5 for few hours....I reccomend a 1000' extension cord and a generator ( that could fit in the new wiener pod) or leak oil all over the seat cause it sure aint fitting in the huge baggage comparment under the seat. I'll also add that foresty just loves them and uses them all the time (NOT!)

Junk I say but thats just my opinion! Good private ship but not commercial!

p5

Been too N. Alberta or B.C lately? you cant look sideways without one flying by you, so I'm thinking they have found their niche.

I also think an overhaul will run you around $160K after 2200hrs or 12 years.

What does a new c-20b cost nowdays?

Been too N. Alberta or B.C lately? you cant look sideways without one flying by you, so I'm thinking they have found their niche.

I also think an overhaul will run you around $160K after 2200hrs or 12 years.

What does a new c-20b cost nowdays?

yep.

Wouldn't someone at Airborne be a good person to answer this question accurately?

They've got a bazillion of 'em.......

(I'm being good!)

LangleyR44 is a knowledgeable private operator and knows what he's talking about.

I've operated R44s in N. AB. at temps well below freezing and they're fine. The piston engines are great if you have an experienced piston mechanic looking after them. Sure they look kinda funny, but when was the last time you looked in a mirror? I know that my morning starts with a good laugh!

Dick

If you really want an R44, it's your money. Talk to airborne energy solutions (formerly aerial recon) for sure. Also, I remember seeing some companies who were looking for O/O's, try them too. As for their use as a utility machine, boooooooo. :( After a couple of years working on the R44, I beleive most of the problems stem from the machine sitting at ground idle for extended periods and if you don't keep your ships rotating components well balanced and smooth you'll be changing worn bearings and cracked panels non-stop. The good old J box is still the best bang for your buck. One with 6000hrs is just broken in, not completely toast like the 44. Maybe robinson will come out with a twin to meet the safety requirements of the big oil and gas companies?

Belt-Driven