Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Legal Challenge

Regardless of what VR has to say as he so well put it in reference to moi.

I will say the following;

VR, I just hired your company to move an a/c unit to the top of a six story building.

You are the pilot flying your brand new K-Max, the load is dropped for whatever reason.

I will expect your company to replace the unit or reimburse me.

If you refuse to pay for whatever reason and it better not be for refusing to pay for extra insurance, I will take you to court and win.

You and your company are suppossed to be the experts, that why I hired you.

So, it is up to you to cover your ***, not me.

I never said that extra insurance was not available to operators that were offering so much per lb, for dropped loads.

I did one helluva alot of slinging in my flying days and never dropped a load that I did'nt want to.

The pilot is responsible to sling any item from A to B, if an item should be dropped, it is NOT the responsibility of the client for negligence on behalf of the company or pilot.

SO, WHY THE **** SHOULD THE CLIENT HAVE TO PAY FOR STUPIDITY.

Should any of the items be carried internally and the helicopter crashes,

you would be covered under the helicopetrs liability insurance, the same as the pax.

I actually don't know why I am telling you all this, you could of found all this out by contacting Helicopter Association Canada.

Under normal operating conditions, i.e. camp moves, drill moves that are not on a continuos basis, insurance for whatever is carried (Slung) should be included in the hourly or daily rate.

Ask any lawyer, who is considered the expert, when in court contesting a dropped load of value.

Cheers, Don

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did one helluva alot of slinging in my flying days and never dropped a load that I did'nt want to.

Do You want to expand on that coment?

Was the load dropped (if infact a load was ever dropped by the "the great one" )due to an mechanical problem ( IE engine failure or other mecanical glitch) or other factors such as the load shifting and becoming a safety of flight problem?

:rolleyes: :shock: :rolleyes:

VR: We are back to the basic question, why did you accept the load as you are the professional and should know if you can get it from A to B.

The customer can tell you what-ever, it's your final decision and responsability. Isn't that what a PIC is all about.

What else is a strictly slinging helicopter used for????

What I am talking about is fixed price to move something from A to B with no hidden charges and always taking into account the value of the item.

If you are paying $1000 to 8000/ hr depending on the helicopter, the insurance is already included in the operating cost of the machine.

Can you tell me why "hook insurance" is not?????

Answer: Allot of companies have to be re-educated along with the so-called professional pilots.

The cost of the insurance is added to the hourl/daily rate and then when the professional pilot drops to many loads, the actual cause will be determined and action taken accordingly.

We had hook problems on 204's back in the sixties, when snow used to get into the actuator, short circuit and open the hook. This was a manufacturing defect and in this day and age they would be sued.

This story can go on and on, somebody is always liable, wether it is the company, manufacturer or whatever. Remember Cessna, they quit manufacturing for years.

Cheers, Don