Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Faa Conversion

Hi Folks

How easy is it to convert either a European or Canadian licence to an FAA CPL??

The reason I ask is if work is slow in Eu and Ca then there always seems to be jobs in the good ol' US of A for the interim time.

Had a quick look in the FAA regs and it seems you can get a PPL just by asking :)

But nothing about how to gain a CPL direct without doing the whole course/exams/ flight test.......

Then it seems you need an IR or else you cant take pax more than 50 miles??

Has anyone on the forum ever done this??

Any help would be appreciated and I'm also expecting the usual (why, who, why, what for, why, etc, etc)

Cheers folks

Kief

I did conversion from CAA to FAA 20 years ago, easy, as for IFR to carry pax, news to me. Hard part is getting work permit, next to impossible right now. And seeing you posted from UK, I take it you a Brit, so forget the green card lottery. They might what us to fight along side them, but green card, sorry no way. Unless you married to a US citizen or have lots of cash to invest, forget it....

Oh goody......just good news all round then!

§ 61.133 Commercial pilot privileges and limitations.

(B) Limitations. (1) A person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category or powered-lift category rating and does not hold an instrument rating in the same category and class will be issued a commercial pilot certificate that contains the limitation, “The carriage of passengers for hire in (airplanes) (powered-lifts) on cross-country flights in excess of 50 nautical miles or at night is prohibited.” The limitation may be removed when the person satisfactorily accomplishes the requirements listed in §61.65 of this part for an instrument rating in the same category and class of aircraft listed on the person's commercial pilot certificate.

Great letter, but they forgot the word 'Rotary wing' in this letter, so unless your a fixed wing dude you must apply for your paperwork to prove to the FAA you hold a valid license, you must do an FAA medical, they will issue you a permit number, go to your local FDSO ( that you had your paperwork sent to, to confirm you have a license) show this to them, they will issue you a private license, then write the FAA commercial written exam (buy the book study/ memorize the questions), do a check ride with an FAA instructor to allow you do do a US license ride.

SIMPLE!

If you have an MoT commercial rotary licence, it is quite easy to get an FAA licence, as said above.

But you will need to have some VFR night flight time.

A company like Chinook in Abottsford can walk you through the whole process, arrange the FAA inspector, rent you a copter for the ride etc. etc

They do it a lot and are good at it. Money well spent, if you really want to do it.

However, now that you have a licence.......do you have a work visa for the US ???

That's the hard part !!

If you have an MoT commercial rotary licence, it is quite easy to get an FAA licence, as said above.

But you will need to have some VFR night flight time.

A company like Chinook in Abottsford can walk you through the whole process, arrange the FAA inspector, rent you a copter for the ride etc. etc

They do it a lot and are good at it. Money well spent, if you really want to do it.

However, now that you have a licence.......do you have a work visa for the US ???

That's the hard part !!

Great that's where I am doing my JAA to TC conversion in May.

I'll ask them about it. It's just trying to see into the future to figure about the best chance of getting employment next year??

Like Over-talk said, Chinook can show you how to get your FAA commercial license easily.

Things are a bit different down in the US though.

A night rating is required for the basic license.

Part 133 is pretty much just slinging with no passengers and you can do that with your barebones commercial license.

Part 135 is all the other aerial work where passengers are carried and will require you to have I believe 25 hours of night cross country time. This is the tough part since even when we have a night rating up here it's rare to have enough night time for part 135 work down there.

And last but not least, the biggest barrier is US immigration. They couldn't care less what license you have and they aren't giving out work permits easily since the economic slow down.

Good luck.

Thanks All

I have the night experience from the Military.

As u all point out its good ol' US immigration :(

I'm just trying to second guess the state of the industry next year when I come across with my family??

Then if I could do that I would be a millionaire without flying!! :)

Kief