Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Duty Time Limits

I am sending the following letter to the officials listed. Please feel free to copy or modify the letter. I'm also sending a copy by email to all my helicoptering friends, and putting this post on the other Canadian helicopter forum.

If we are serious about safety and fairness, we must get AME duty time limits.

Thanks to Bullet Remington for the list of TC Standards officials.

Thanks to each of you who takes a couple of minutes to fire off a few emails to help make this happen.

Cheers,

Dick Mitten

The DIRECTOR , STANDARDS is Don Sherritt. He can be reached at: Don.Sherritt@tc.ga.ca

Director General of Civil Aviation - Martin J. Eley; Martin.Eley@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director , Pacific Region - David Nowzek - David.Nowzek@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director, Prairie & Northern Region - Kate Fletcher- Kate.Fletcher@tc.gc.ca

Acting Regional Director, Ontario Region- Joseph Swalek - Joseph.Swalek@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director, Quebec Region- Diane Desmarais - diane.demarais@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director, Atlantic Region - Arthur Allen- arthur.allen@tc.gc.ca

March 25, 2010

Dear ____________,

I am a commercial helicopter pilot, writing to encourage your support for aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) duty time limits.

Pilot duty times are regulated to avoid acute and chronic fatigue, which are well recognized as significant contributing factors to aircraft accidents. If we are to take the SMS approach seriously, we must recognize the importance of the AME in the safety chain, and ensure that the system supports the best outcome from the AME’s work.

When I strap myself into a helicopter and take responsibility for the lives of my passengers, the law requires that I have had ample opportunity for rest. I want the AMEs who worked on that machine to have the same opportunities.

Please do everything you can to support and move forward the introduction of duty time limits for aircraft maintenance engineers.

Sincerely,

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your efforts on my behalf, they are much appreciated.

This is long overdue and in BOTH of our best interests, pilot and AME, as well as the customer.

I am sending the following letter to the officials listed. Please feel free to copy or modify the letter. I'm also sending a copy by email to all my helicoptering friends, and putting this post on the other Canadian helicopter forum.

If we are serious about safety and fairness, we must get AME duty time limits.

Thanks to Bullet Remington for the list of TC Standards officials.

Thanks to each of you who takes a couple of minutes to fire off a few emails to help make this happen.

Cheers,

Dick Mitten

The DIRECTOR , STANDARDS is Don Sherritt. He can be reached at: Don.Sherritt@tc.ga.ca

Director General of Civil Aviation - Martin J. Eley; Martin.Eley@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director , Pacific Region - David Nowzek - David.Nowzek@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director, Prairie & Northern Region - Kate Fletcher- Kate.Fletcher@tc.gc.ca

Acting Regional Director, Ontario Region- Joseph Swalek - Joseph.Swalek@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director, Quebec Region- Diane Desmarais - diane.demarais@tc.gc.ca

Regional Director, Atlantic Region - Arthur Allen- arthur.allen@tc.gc.ca

March 25, 2010

Dear ____________,

I am a commercial helicopter pilot, writing to encourage your support for aircraft maintenance engineer (AME) duty time limits.

Pilot duty times are regulated to avoid acute and chronic fatigue, which are well recognized as significant contributing factors to aircraft accidents. If we are to take the SMS approach seriously, we must recognize the importance of the AME in the safety chain, and ensure that the system supports the best outcome from the AME’s work.

When I strap myself into a helicopter and take responsibility for the lives of my passengers, the law requires that I have had ample opportunity for rest. I want the AMEs who worked on that machine to have the same opportunities.

Please do everything you can to support and move forward the introduction of duty time limits for aircraft maintenance engineers.

Sincerely,

Dick:

Excellent letter, but addressed to the wrong people. When you send a letter to a person who is not the actual head of that department, you can wait forever for a reply.

Send the letter to the head of the department which is the Minister, copy to Director General TCCA.

In sending the letter to the Minister (Baird), the letter will be answered by either the DG or the Director of Standards, but will be signed by the Minister who will have final say on the matter.

Should you not receive the answer you want, go public with a copy to the newspapers on this long overdue safety concern.

Also remember this thread is being read by TCCA and they will be ready.

Cheers, Don

I sent my email off to Mr. Nowzek just before lunch; much to my surprise he responded the same day just before 6PM!!!

and HE forwarded my email to the Director, Standards and the Director of Policy and Regulatory Services on my behalf.

Not the response I expected from a civil servant, but a pleasant surprise, thank you very much. :up:

Nice work Love Glove. It sure would be nice. We all appreciate it.

Swede

I hope it works out. It is hard for many of us to write a letter of our own without calling into question the practices of our employers. Of course if I was in transition from one employer to another I'd be all over that. Until then I am just another member of the silent majority. Too bad it couldn't be brought in as an anonymous vote or referendum!

Believe me, writing an email like the sample above doesn't draw any attention to your employer. My opinion is based on the generic responses I've gotten to my own emails. Those replies notwithstanding, if enough folks send emails it'll register as an important issue to tackle.

cheers,

Dick

• 3 weeks later...