Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Duty Time Limits

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After lurking on this site for a while now I have decided to post my first post.

The duty time limit thing for the AME has weighed on my mind for many a year. I was a " Bush Engineer " for pretty much all of my career although now I have settled into a job with more stable working hours.

The most fair way I can see for employeers and employees is to implement a system similar to what the US Forest Service uses. Which goes something like this 12 days on mandatory 2 days off ( away from the job site not doing anything avaiation related ) I think something like this would work considering the nature of our work in the bush. Perhaps we could go 3 weeks on mandatory one week off.

For the Base Engineers and such well they can remain as they are, unless they work over a certain number of hour in a week then they must have mandated time off.

I think a system like this although not perfect is fair to the operators, customers and most importantly the AME.

I am sure some operators will find a way to exploit this system although it would go a long way in establishing a time limit for consecutive days worked

Of course it will allways be the ulitmate responsiblity Of the AME to go and get some rest if He/She feels tired.

The problem with 12 days on and 2 days off for an engineer working in the bush is the 2 days off. They would end up being travel days. A lot of employers are delegating your travel days as days off. Not much point.

3 weeks on and 1 off is a good shift though. Have done it many times. As is 28 and 10.

At any rate, this year anyway, it's hard to find an overworked engineer. Things are pretty slow most places, with a few companies at least having some steady work. There have been much busier years.

RTR

@ RTR I agree with your coments Considering the nature of bush work you can't legislate the hours effectivly but you can the days. In that legislation travel days can have a definition as agreed by everybody Ie travell day = workday or 1/2 wk Day etc.

It has been hard to find a overworked enginneer considering the season this year but this would help the person in field that is having the tour from H### with snags, components, poor living conditions etc which all contribute to a tired engineer.

@ RTR I agree with your coments Considering the nature of bush work you can't legislate the hours effectivly but you can the days. In that legislation travel days can have a definition as agreed by everybody Ie travell day = workday or 1/2 wk Day etc.

It has been hard to find a overworked enginneer considering the season this year but this would help the person in field that is having the tour from H### with snags, components, poor living conditions etc which all contribute to a tired engineer.