Another Apprentice Grant- Another Screwed Apprentice

KnuckleDragger

Seems a little ridiculous that Transport Canada, the CRA, and the ITA keep stating that our "industry" should request inclusion in the red seal program. I think enough of us have done this. I wonder what the magic word is. I don't even care about the seal. I just want a little equality when it comes to exemptions at tax time. To me this is clearly an example of the lack of co-operation between government agencies who are more interested in populating the trade of carpet layer or sprinkler installer than keeping aircraft safely in the air. I wonder if they would change their tune if we stopped signing out aircraft for a mere 24 hours? We'd probably all be fired and arrested as terrorists.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems a little ridiculous that Transport Canada, the CRA, and the ITA keep stating that our "industry" should request inclusion in the red seal program. I think enough of us have done this. I wonder what the magic word is. I don't even care about the seal. I just want a little equality when it comes to exemptions at tax time. To me this is clearly an example of the lack of co-operation between government agencies who are more interested in populating the trade of carpet layer or sprinkler installer than keeping aircraft safely in the air. I wonder if they would change their tune if we stopped signing out aircraft for a mere 24 hours? We'd probably all be fired and arrested as terrorists.

All the red seal means in the trades is you are able to practice your trade in any province, not just the province you were accredited in.

As an AME you already have that. You are Federally regulated, and not a trade.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

RTR

All the red seal means in the trades is you are able to practice your trade in any province, not just the province you were accredited in.

As an AME you already have that. You are Federally regulated, and not a trade.

I'm not sure why this is so hard to understand.

RTR

Yes. We understand. Somehow I don't feel we are the ones missing the point here.

Yes. We understand. Somehow I don't feel we are the ones missing the point here.

I'm not missing the point. You want to be able to deduct the cost of your tools. In order to do that under the existing regulations you want AME's designated as a trade, so you will fall under the guidelines for trades in regards to tax purposes. In short you want to be recognized as a trades person.

Did I get that right?

You do not recognize the occupation as that of a professional engineer. You recognize it as a trade.

Did you know that in order to be granted the authority to certify maintenance on an aircraft and be deemed an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer by the federal government you must be mentored and recommended by an AME?

There is no other way, you must be pretty much personally vouched for by another AME. This falls more into the guidelines of a professional engineer, not a mechanic or technician.

Instead of lobbying to be recognized as a trades person in order to be allowed certain tax deductions, why not lobby to amend the tax laws to allow professionals to make similar deductions?

Just my $.02

cheers,

RTR

I'm not missing the point. You want to be able to deduct the cost of your tools. In order to do that under the existing regulations you want AME's designated as a trade, so you will fall under the guidelines for trades in regards to tax purposes. In short you want to be recognized as a trades person.

Did I get that right?

You do not recognize the occupation as that of a professional engineer. You recognize it as a trade.

Did you know that in order to be granted the authority to certify maintenance on an aircraft and be deemed an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer by the federal government you must be mentored and recommended by an AME?

There is no other way, you must be pretty much personally vouched for by another AME. This falls more into the guidelines of a professional engineer, not a mechanic or technician.

Instead of lobbying to be recognized as a trades person in order to be allowed certain tax deductions, why not lobby to amend the tax laws to allow professionals to make similar deductions?

Just my $.02

cheers,

RTR

I am an AME. Have been for awhile. The infrastructure is already in place and the ITA already has plans to govern this TRADE. I do consider myself a professional as I do other tradesman in other occupations. Mostly. I don't like the idea of trying to lobby for tax breaks for 'professionals' because they would not fall in line with our 'tradesman' pay scale. Let's not be full of ourselves. We pull wrenches. We are mechanics. We started out as 'Apprentices', not interns. There's not much difference between us and regular mechanics except that we can't pull over on a cloud when something goes wrong. Also you will notice that most automotive mechanics make more than engineers. My wish is that the organizations mentioned above would stop dragging their feet and just do what they said they are going to do. It makes sense as an industry.

An AME apprentice has to do 2 years of school and 2 years on the job, just like a trade. A log book must be filled out for a certain range of tasks and signed by a licensed AME (like a journeyman) just like a trade. You need to achieve a certain amount of hours and pass a certain amount of tests just like a trade. We don't sit in offices with pens but work on machines in the hanger and in the field with tools. If it looks like a duck...