Program To Help You Study (for A Ppc In My Case)

bobbymak

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share a program I put together in case it might benefit some of you.

Since I spend a lot of time on the computer, I thought that it might be nice to have a program that pops up a random PPC question every few minutes so I always have the aircraft limitations and procedures fresh in my head. I looked around on the web, but couldn't find anything that worked the way I wanted it to, so I decided to create the program myself. A few days later "Bob's Study Helper" was born! (yeah I know the name could use some work). It's worked great for me, hopefully it might work for others as well.

The program is very simple, it just pops up a random question in the bottom right hand corner of your screen at the interval you choose. Once you've thought about it, there is a button to check the answer.

The questions come from a question file (XML file for you techies) that you specify when you first open the program.

The question file is a text file with a structure like this:

<Items>

<Item>

<Subject>Topic of the question goes here</Subject>

<Question>Question goes here</Question>

<Answer>Answer goes here</Answer>

</Item>

...and repeat

</Items>

I've built a (crappy) website where you can download the program and question files: http://www.surenet.net/~bobbymak/StudyHelper/

Currently, I only have a Bell 206 limitations question file, but I'll be adding more soon. If anybody is interested in adding more question files, just email me the file. Also, if you just want to write out a bunch of helicopter questions, I'd be glad to create the question file myself and post it on the web site.

Sorry if this is little too technical for some. I tried my best to make it simple without it taking too much time for me to put together. If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me or reply here and I'll try to help you as best as I can. :)

-Bob MacDonald

doesn't seem to want to run on VMFusionware with XP either .. bummer .. great idea!

Should work with XP or later versions on any type of system, just needs Microsoft .NET 3.5 installed

Also make sure you extract the zip file to a directory before running the program because it needs the WPFTaskbarNotifer.dll file to run.

cool Bob !! i will for sure try it

Hey guys,

I just wanted to share a program I put together in case it might benefit some of you.

Since I spend a lot of time on the computer, I thought that it might be nice to have a program that pops up a random PPC question every few minutes so I always have the aircraft limitations and procedures fresh in my head. I looked around on the web, but couldn't find anything that worked the way I wanted it to, so I decided to create the program myself. A few days later "Bob's Study Helper" was born! (yeah I know the name could use some work). It's worked great for me, hopefully it might work for others as well.

The program is very simple, it just pops up a random question in the bottom right hand corner of your screen at the interval you choose. Once you've thought about it, there is a button to check the answer.

The questions come from a question file (XML file for you techies) that you specify when you first open the program.

The question file is a text file with a structure like this:

<Items>

<Item>

<Subject>Topic of the question goes here</Subject>

<Question>Question goes here</Question>

<Answer>Answer goes here</Answer>

</Item>

...and repeat

</Items>

I've built a (crappy) website where you can download the program and question files: http://www.surenet.net/~bobbymak/StudyHelper/

Currently, I only have a Bell 206 limitations question file, but I'll be adding more soon. If anybody is interested in adding more question files, just email me the file. Also, if you just want to write out a bunch of helicopter questions, I'd be glad to create the question file myself and post it on the web site.

Sorry if this is little too technical for some. I tried my best to make it simple without it taking too much time for me to put together. If you have any questions at all feel free to PM me or reply here and I'll try to help you as best as I can. :)

-Bob MacDonald