Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Pilots And Antidepressants

How would you know if he was taking anti-depressants, he won't tell you and there is NO drug testing required!!!!!

Another point is that if it is prescribed by his doctor and approved by TC, what would you do???

I think you should be more concerned with a pilot that has a Bi/Polar problem that has gone undetected.

What is the physiological profile of most pilots?? I think you'll find they are fatalist.

Don

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How would you know if he was taking anti-depressants, he won't tell you and there is NO drug testing required!!!!!

Another point is that if it is prescribed by his doctor and approved by TC, what would you do???

I think you should be more concerned with a pilot that has a Bi/Polar problem that has gone undetected.

What is the physiological profile of most pilots?? I think you'll find they are fatalist.

Don

I always heard Deep Pockets, Short Arms.

• 3 weeks later...
undetected.

Don

"The thing is, helicopters are different from planes. An airplane by it's nature wants to fly, and if not interfered with too strongly by unusual events or by a deliberately incompetent pilot, it will fly. A helicopter does not want to fly. It is maintained in the air by a variety of forces and controls working in opposition to each other, and if there is any disturbance in this delicate balance the helicopter stops flying; immediately and disastrously. There is no such thing as a gliding helicopter.

This is why being a helicopter pilot is so different from being an airplane pilot, and why in generality, airplane pilots are open, clear-eyed, buoyant extroverts and helicopter pilots are brooding introspective anticipators of trouble. They know if something bad has not happened it is about to."

Harry Reasoner 1971

Elan,

As small helicopter company owner/operators, we cannot be psychiatrists and figure out everyones issues, and in your friends case, probably nothing was obvious. The way I look at it, if 2 prospective employees showed up on our doorstep, similar qualifications, similar attitude, one that was naturally happy and one that needed anti depressants to be the same, I would hire the person that didn't require drugs and counseling.

This is just my opinion, everyone may not agree, and that is O.K.

Snowing here today, fire season delayed a couple more weeks. Now I am depressed again.

B.M.

Uneducated and prejudicial opinion, in my opinion. If you look around you'll see a lot of self medication in this industry, which screws up the brain chemistry even more. Information about an employee's use of an antidepressant should never be allowed in the hands of an employer. Not unless it comes with a specific warning about flying or machinery operation.