Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

U.s Flight Schools In Canada

Full On

When I first looked at this I didn't think much of it, so what if they give out US CPHL. But then again all that would be required is a conversion to a Canadian license, and you are ready to fly in Canada.

SO there is the problem, I have done a few US to Canadian conversions, in my experience a US licensed pilot with 150hrs is at about the same level as a Canadian trained 50 hr student pilot. I am reminded of one 150hr FAA licensed pilot who couldn't do a confined area that I send my students into solo at 40hrs.

The debate between Canadian and American training has been beat to death on here, I think Canadian trained and Canadian experienced heli pilots are the best in the world! But that’s just my opinion.

So the only threat to my business with this is the Canadian kids who think they can find an easier way to get ready to work, but then again the students who want the easy way out don't belong at my school anyway.

rob

Yea, but that 150 FAA pilot turns around and gets his CFI and starts getting hours.....while the 100 hours pilot here is like a slave cleaning floors and dreaming of hours. Plus, people will go where it's cheaper.....is there offering FAA prices, then watch out!!

Guest plumber
Yea, but that 150 FAA pilot turns around and gets his CFI and starts getting hours.....while the 100 hours pilot here is like a slave cleaning floors and dreaming of hours. Plus, people will go where it's cheaper.....is there offering FAA prices, then watch out!!

I can just imagine me teaching at 250 hrs. OH THE HUMANITY!

No offence Volition, but I can't see a 150 hr CFI in canada, and when you get a proper education your floor sweepin is kept to a minimum!

rob

"Quality".....not quantity !!??? ;);)

It amazes me that so many young people believe the fastest education is the best, or the school that PUMPS out the most students must give the best education. Why would some one spend 50K and try to learn as little as posible, makes no sence to me! :wacko:

rob

None taken Rob. I was just merely stating what’s happening....Plus, I had a 400 hours pilot teach me in Canada. Although a few flights with the 4500 hours cfi, those flights I learned. I wish I had him throughout the 100 hours. Just saying that paying $200/hour and $450/hour is a big difference too.

so....is that the actual situation...american pilots, flying american machines in canada teaching canadian students?

where are the facts they are charging $200 vs a "stanard" cdn rate of $450?

I have a copy of their information pamphlet which lists the prices. It isn't $200.00 per hour. It is however cheaper then $450.00 per hour. Pm me and I will send you the costs of the piston and turbine machines, which are also less than "standard" rates.

I have a copy of their information pamphlet which lists the prices. It isn't $200.00 per hour. It is however cheaper then $450.00 per hour. Pm me and I will send you the costs of the piston and turbine machines, which are also less than "standard" rates.

As with everything in life,"you get what you pay for"! This sounds very similar to the thread on rates. Someone will always use price to get work. If a lower price is your best selling point, not quality, then I guess you will get all the students who want to learn as little as possible for the lowest price. I think this is why I don't shop at Walmart! Anyone who is seriouse about becoming a WORKING pilot will seek out a school who gives them an education not time in the seat.

Canada has a great reputation for helicopter pilots; I believe the best in the world! I don't believe our industry will accept the reduced quality of enter level pilots that a US based system would bring. Being able to do countless circuits at the airport or gross weight approaches to a REAL confined area are two totally different things.

Getting a 100 hr kid ready to go to work is hard, how can someone who has never really worked as a bush pilot get you ready to be one?

The phrase "Caveat Emptor" has been around since the Roman Empire!

In terms of this post it can be interpreted as "you shouldn't buy a pilot’s license from Wal-Mart”!

rob