Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

U.s Flight Schools In Canada

Full On

Well it is time to chime in. I am that GUY. Or perhaps you would like to call me twinkie. Classy.

My reasons for going to Red Eagle in Kalispell were 2 fold. 1. I didn't like/trust the R22 for a training ship. It is just me. I didn't feel that I could survive even one small glitch in my solo flight. Also I didn't like the shoulder to shoulder space. 2. Prohibitive cost to recreationally fly.

Sure I was over the seat weight limit a bit. What sperned me forward was a chance encounter at the Esso with a Schweizer 300CBI traveling on a ferry flight across to Quebec from B.C. The pilot took me for a quick flight and I could not believe the difereence between the Robies and the 300! It was the room, the lift capacity, the stick on the floor, the handing was like flying in a tank. That was it for me. I considered going to B.C. to fly 300's but (Penchant for Nickel and dimeing) I could not justify the cost for a private licence. So my choices were: R44 at supermegabucks/hr and then never fly again unless I bought a helicopter or took another "course" and spend more supermegabucks. Unrealistic. So I found a school through Schweizer Inc. in Kalsipell, MT.

The guys there were startlingly welcoming, professional, open, inviting. They offered me a tour, intoduced me to all staff and offered a flight (no charge BTW) Our first flight was over to a river to land at gravel bars! This was some of the places that I spent most of my time training.The experience and confidence that I gained there was one of those things that hear about in magazines. You know, how they are "hooked on avaition" and "best expereince of my life" things. I had not experienced that until that time. I found that the ship was out standing, the FAA program was easy to follow and clearly outlined, one CFI (chief) is a published author and very experienced, the others are stacked with experience.

Now the cost was finally accessable and reasonable. I did my flight test at 47 hrs. About average for the 300. The school was the clincher though. What a wonderful group of people. Very empowering, very positive very safe. Is that not what a flight school should be?

Well I'm now working toward my commercial licence and hey, I can take passengers while doing so! I feel that the 150hrs is a better for a commercial license and it opens students up to becoming a CFI (and yes visas are easily avialable for pilots that will allow them to work in the states) and open the market up to bridge the gap of the low time pilots to get that all important 1st job.

I think that a solution was needed for others in similar circumstances as myself. Surely I am not alone. Surely access to flight is not needed to be limited to the rich and famous.

The USA licencing has been legislated and available for many many years and no one has actucally done it until now. My experience with pilots down in the USA was excellent - even the 150hr ones.

Oh and best of all, now that I have my FAA license.... I can rent the helicopters in Calgary and I don't have to buy one!! Accessable aviation! I am loving it. Any one can come and get the FAA conversion and then rent the helicopter for the weekend!!!!

Well it is time to chime in. I am that GUY. Or perhaps you would like to call me twinkie. Classy.

My reasons for going to Red Eagle in Kalispell were 2 fold. 1. I didn't like/trust the R22 for a training ship. It is just me. I didn't feel that I could survive even one small glitch in my solo flight. Also I didn't like the shoulder to shoulder space. 2. Prohibitive cost to recreationally fly.

Sure I was over the seat weight limit a bit. What sperned me forward was a chance encounter at the Esso with a Schweizer 300CBI traveling on a ferry flight across to Quebec from B.C. The pilot took me for a quick flight and I could not believe the difereence between the Robies and the 300! It was the room, the lift capacity, the stick on the floor, the handing was like flying in a tank. That was it for me. I considered going to B.C. to fly 300's but (Penchant for Nickel and dimeing) I could not justify the cost for a private licence. So my choices were: R44 at supermegabucks/hr and then never fly again unless I bought a helicopter or took another "course" and spend more supermegabucks. Unrealistic. So I found a school through Schweizer Inc. in Kalsipell, MT.

The guys there were startlingly welcoming, professional, open, inviting. They offered me a tour, intoduced me to all staff and offered a flight (no charge BTW) Our first flight was over to a river to land at gravel bars! This was some of the places that I spent most of my time training.The experience and confidence that I gained there was one of those things that hear about in magazines. You know, how they are "hooked on avaition" and "best expereince of my life" things. I had not experienced that until that time. I found that the ship was out standing, the FAA program was easy to follow and clearly outlined, one CFI (chief) is a published author and very experienced, the others are stacked with experience.

Now the cost was finally accessable and reasonable. I did my flight test at 47 hrs. About average for the 300. The school was the clincher though. What a wonderful group of people. Very empowering, very positive very safe. Is that not what a flight school should be?

Well I'm now working toward my commercial licence and hey, I can take passengers while doing so! I feel that the 150hrs is a better for a commercial license and it opens students up to becoming a CFI (and yes visas are easily avialable for pilots that will allow them to work in the states) and open the market up to bridge the gap of the low time pilots to get that all important 1st job.

I think that a solution was needed for others in similar circumstances as myself. Surely I am not alone. Surely access to flight is not needed to be limited to the rich and famous.

The USA licencing has been legislated and available for many many years and no one has actucally done it until now. My experience with pilots down in the USA was excellent - even the 150hr ones.

Oh and best of all, now that I have my FAA license.... I can rent the helicopters in Calgary and I don't have to buy one!! Accessable aviation! I am loving it. Any one can come and get the FAA conversion and then rent the helicopter for the weekend!!!!

Scary.

Rent a helicopter, take it out to the mountains w/ a FAA Private License. <_< Sounds like a great idea! :rolleyes: You know some jackass will....

the Duke

Unfortunatly I suspect all this will do is give "Red American" free advertizing, They went from an unknown yesterday to a Cross Canada wide known Helicopter training business. There web page has gone from zero to the amount of helicopter pilots and most important "WANT TO BE PILOTS" in Canada. I vote to shut down this thread now. So no one else see's there Name.

Helilog