Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

U.s Flight Schools In Canada

Full On

So what's the difference between a 100hr+ pilot renting and doing circuts around springbank(faa dude) and a fresh 100hr guy flying global one or tours around the icefields or Kananaskis?

I'm a dreamer and hoping to do the pilot thing one day. Due to the lack of funds it may be a dream for sometime. It doesn't help that this board seems to have some of the most crusty and unsupportive guys around.

Someone shouldn't get slammed so bad for trying to make a dream come alive. Surely all yanky pilots aren't that bad.

Stop the chatter. If the school is that bad, things should sort there way out.

Canyaker, keep dreaming! that is how it happens, if you think about it long enough, you will find a way. Be carfull what you wish for as it may come true! I woulda never thought I would be where I am today in a million years!

You must realize the difference is these are pilots trained in Canada, trained in bush work from the start. There are also no 100 hr guys flying global. Yes some of them are lower time, but several still have a lot more time than 100 hrs. As far as the Icefeilds?? well we won't get into that, then I might really come un-glued! The standards, in the US, as buddy has stated, are lower. Just look at all the back door ways Buddy has explained you can use to get you licence. Renting a helicopter to build time is wrong, just like all the lowtime instructors in the US teaching other lowtimers to fly, teh product in the end is not the same.

Good luck getting a job anywhere in Canada after training in a FAA school in here in Canada.

So what's the difference between a 100hr+ pilot renting and doing circuts around springbank(faa dude) and a fresh 100hr guy flying global one or tours around the icefields or Kananaskis?

I'm a dreamer and hoping to do the pilot thing one day. Due to the lack of funds it may be a dream for sometime. It doesn't help that this board seems to have some of the most crusty and unsupportive guys around.

Someone shouldn't get slammed so bad for trying to make a dream come alive. Surely all yanky pilots aren't that bad.

I havent been in this industry long enough to get really involved in this forum, or start my own school for that matter... However, I have seen the financial part of a license come up a few times here. Ya its a lot of money to get a license... a **** of a lot of money... but it is far from "reserved for the rich and famous". Im far from both and somehow managed to scrape up JUST enough. Come on! If anyone really wants it bad enough they will find a way to make it happen! And to touch on the global thing... Yes some are low time guys, but nobody has gotten their 101st hour flying the traffic machine solo! some of the traffic pilots have in excess of 1000 hours. Oh, and the crusty guys on here that are "slamming those with dreams" have most likely been in this industry long enough to get crusty! (their opinions might may be worth listening to...) and they are probably coming accross as "unsuportive" because again, they have been around long enough to know what should and shouldn't be supported. only my opinion... hope this provokes at least a couple more posts cuz some are pretty **** amusing!

Another question for the pilots that do the hiring? What's more important, the flight school a pilot came from or the check ride they do?

When they look at your resume, the school you went to will decide whether they let you burn up an hour of their time. Yak away.

the Duke

• Like 2

Hey guys I can shed a bit of light on the subject, I am a 4000 hour Pilot I fly the Bell 47, Bell 206 series, Astar 350 series, Hughes 500, Schweitzer 269, Bell 205 and Bell 212. I have flown Internationally in Canada and the US in 5 provinces 2 territories and 6 different States. I am a Canadian and proud of it and last fall I looked at getting my IFR rating and comparing the schools in Canada and the US with the current dollar being close to par. This was out of my own pocket and I found I was able to complete my IFR and FAA Commercial license with a night rating for similar cost as a Group 4 IFR rating in Canada. The added bonus was all time was on the Helicopter opposed to 20 hours in the simulator, 15 hours in a fixed wing and only 5 hours in a Helicopter.

My experience down in Kalispell was great I was down there for about a month and had a great time getting to know the crew at Red Eagle. I would recommend them to anyone looking for Initial, Refresher or Advanced flying for both Fixed Wing and Helicopter in VFR/IFR training. Check out their website or give them a call and find out for yourself what they have to offer.

Remember they are working under the NAFTA agreement and is no different than a Canadian company working across the line under the same agreement. It usually does get the local competition stirred up but I see it as hopefully opening up the doors more for all of us to enjoy a larger operating field!

Cheers Redline

When they look at your resume, the school you went to will decide whether they let you burn up an hour of their time. Yak away.

the Duke

So Duke, I personally have spent 3 years doing HeliTack, 2 yrs siesmic, multiple years in other forestry related jobs as well 2 summers doing mountain rescue where I was on the end of the longline. Well over 150 days working around helicopters. Hence my dream to actually fly them. So if this info was on my resume and I went to this U.S. school, you wouldn't even give me a check ride? Surely that resume against buddy with little to no field experience deserves a look. Personally over the years I've found that time in the bush is the hardest to teach or train for.

Just spit balling some thoughts.

As far as the crusty old guys comments I made, there are some very insightful and encouraging guys on the forum. I've learned a lot from there posts and look forward to learning more. Once I find that elusive sugar mamma I'll start the training process. Or just be a kept man.

Guest plumber

The difference one is paying to do it and the other is getting paid allbeit not a whole lot.

In the end a Canadian company always asks, where did you train? when you show up with low hours and that might be your downfall when you start out with Red Seagull.

Guy...you seem proud to point out the fact that you have access to a very high time and experienced instructor and that you can fly with him from time to time. The students down the road from you have that same access every flight. Therein lies the main difference. Quality of instruction. No offense, but I would think twice about going for a scenic flight with someone who is still working towards certification.

Mark

I guess the price will go up for those looking for a Candian Commercial conversion. I spoke with one FTU who said simply ( If my operation was not accepable to do your Inital training, then why should I train you to do your Canadian conversion!)

Why would I hire an individual who does not support my economy, he will perhaps be the guy who takes training from my organization, then splits for 2 dollars more per hour.

I wish you good luck !!!