U.s Flight Schools In Canada

Full On

I did my FW CPL before converting over. In the FW world I was trained by lower time pilots. I learned enough ot pass the flight test.

I did my helicopter conversion. My instructor teached me how to not kill myself and how to work a machine operationaly.

It quickly came evident the benifits of having experienced instructors.

Robs post is bang on.

It seems as though there is a "fixation" on flight hours, that gets drilled into the new recruits coming in to this industry.

A "lot" of that is caused by the schools themselves. The "train with us" and we will build your time as an instructor is a big seller in the U.S.

It seems as though "quanity" versus "quality" flight training, is accepted down there.

The F.A.A. and H.A.I. took to task better standards and a mentorship program for a lot of inexperienced instructors.......the reason.........high accident rates within the training schools.

Any new or prospective student should "always" check the credentials, experience, and track record of any flight training unit....north or south of the border. And that research should focus on the instructors themselves.

So how many "connections" and people working in the industry, does a low time instructor have or know?

How about comparing "that" to a highly experienced, seasoned, working pilot/instructor in the industry?

Experience brings not only "operational knowledge" of our industry to the students.....but also a network that may land them that first job, based on who they have trained with. ;)

Cheers, H56

And from Rob's post, to Helilog56's post, that says it all in a nutshell. Besides the low time instructor issue, the "connections" and "support" that one will acquire from a high time, seasonal working Canadian bush pilot are invaluable. Mountain View Helicopters supports their students even years down the road after a few thousand hours! Getting the licence is the first step, and it can be easier than the second step, getting a job. To the students, this should be a major consideration.

I think one should welcome a neighbour rather than hang them out to dry!

Sometimes neighbours stay, sometimes they move away.

Time will tell whether or not they can or will 'survive' the cold jungle here.

For the record, not every flight instructor at the Canadian flight schools are high time, highly experienced instuctors with 1000's of hours of field experience.

Is this more of a rant that competition moved into town so there is less of a monopoly? If we want to be technical about this maybe we should remind everyone that ALPINE Helicopters is American owned...

NAFTA works both ways!

That was a great video! I really enjoyed the info as I am was trained to always learn. This is just what I experienced in my private training. As a matter of fact I was doing that the the threshold of rwy 25 last week with an instructor in the CBI. I particularly liked the hold and dive and clear the fence! can't tell you how many times I have done that! great stuff. Nicely done. great video. It was great to see it in a B47 too. The 300 cbi has not that much rotor inertia but it is all managable with practice. Practice, practice, practice. I'll have to get one of those helut cams and post some of my autos! Also, great to hear the instructor comments. For new students looking into flying, that is exactly what it is like. It seems a little intense when you first hear it but that is really what it takes! It gets better as you do and is really enjoyable to see the spot and to hit the mark. I grab and instructor monthly and do them for 1.5 and do the crazy turns, 180s, "s" etc. to keep current. I tell my friends that watch, that it is really the most enjoyable and rewarding part of flying! After all, anyone can fly straight and level! I will definately add that to my video archive! Good Saturday night viewing with some popcorn! :D

Reply to Rotohead and others…

I have to tell you that I’m trying real hard to see your point about Canadian trained pilot’s vs. American training and its pilots. All I’m hearing is patriot babble to demean a competitor. Since this is a thread about “Flight Training” it should be kept to questions, answers and opinions and pros and cons for learning process.

1. Canadian flight regulations except a lower time U.S. pilot, with a low time instructor, can convert to a CPL if he/she can meet the standards.

Is this not saying that they recognize that U.S. trained pilots, with lower times, can equal CPL standards?

2. Can a Canadian licensed instructor, being a professional, put aside his/her prejudices and egos to give a fair and balanced evaluation?

3. Is it possible that no matter what side of the boarder that there are HIGH and LOW time instructors that “CAN NOT” and should not teach and there are ones that can?

4. Isn’t it true that ones own abilities are different; some can achieve standards with lower hours when others may need more?

5. Job openings on this web page and others list how many hours, and other requirements needed. A few were no lower than 1,000 hours, most are higher. Please explain to beginning pilots, how you and how to achieve your flight hours to acquire said jobs after obtaining your CPL and ratings or did you pay for all of it…WOW!? I believe that whatever you say it still boils down to “You had to “BUILD” time somewhere, somehow, to get that job”.

6. I believe that neither training programs are designed to “Build Time”. They are designed to acquire the experience and ability necessary to meet standards for acquiring the certificate or ratings sought. Are certain companies setting there own higher standard for possible gain for more revenue?

7. I think the reason for building time is mandated by the insurance companies as for them mandating going to Flight Safety or a training facility like Bell Helicopter.

8. Why is FW training very similar in pricing on both sides and RW is higher in Canada using a lesser quality training aircraft? Could this be because of lack of competition?

9. Unlike China you do have general aviation. When a pilot receives his/her CPL why can they not rent the aircraft for fun? Is it because companies don’t want to pay the extra insurance coverage that would cut into their higher profit margin?

10. Post #62, the owner of this new competitor, states that the plan is to employ Canadian instructors and appears to be going to do both conversion and initial at a considerable savings. How are you going to compete? By being competitive offering competitive prices and said quoted training? Or continue on the trash approach?

In conclusion;

It is of my opinion that the ones who would like to this thread to end is because the knowledge that companies can come across the boarder threatens their monopoly. This is a thread about flight training and should remain because it shows that there are options and is informative about flight schools. And look how many Newbie’s are now joining this web page to be more informed and using the services to learn.

Fly Safe

5. Job openings on this web page and others list how many hours, and other requirements needed. A few were no lower than 1,000 hours, most are higher. Please explain to beginning pilots, how you and how to achieve your flight hours to acquire said jobs after obtaining your CPL and ratings or did you pay for all of it…WOW!? I believe that whatever you say it still boils down to “You had to “BUILD” time somewhere, somehow, to get that job”.

FYI Most of us north of the border here built time by flying operationally. Work hard in school. Land that elusive first job, work ground crew, get flying. It may take a few years, but with a little hard work and timing you have your first 500-1000 hrs before you know it.

You don't see job adds very often for less then 1000 hours as most operators desk's are propped up with low time resumes.

Disclaimer...my opinions follow.

Renting time is like buying hours...what is a guy really learning? ya ya it'd be fun to take the wife up once and a while, but i get to do that through the company I work for now.

At 300 bucks an hour....times 850 hours to get to a thousand? $255,000 smackers... :D

I knew a guy once that bought a r22 to build time, got to 500 hours, had a few job interviews. When asked where he had worked, he told the he had essentially "bought" his way, the interveiws were over.

So how would I explain to a newbie dreaming of flying on getting his forst 1000 hours? Work for it. It's supply and demand. We have to big of a pilot supply as it is under 1000 hrs.

There are a few expetions to the low time instructor thing....but I certainly wouldn't recommend banking your career on getting your CPL and then be a CFI to build time. How many escaped with our lives during our first 500-1000 hours? Now imagine putting in cyclic into the someone elses hands where you were a year ago? There are some naturals out there..I'll give you that point. But I'm not endorsing it.

8. Why is FW training very similar in pricing on both sides and RW is higher in Canada using a lesser quality training aircraft? Could this be because of lack of competition?

what do you consider lesser quality???? lesser quality then what?