Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Group Iv Rating

Just wondering if the training, and specifically the TC ride, for your rotary IFR rating is considered to be single pilot IFR, or is it a CRM atmosphere?

Also,

1. Are there any members who have recently done their IFR and gotten a job?

2. Positive or negative school experiences?

3. A bit of research has turned up the fact that domestic IFR pay is crap ($15,000/yr)... any comments?

Thanks

From my experience, the TC inspector acts as a competent pilot. He will do exactly what you want no more, no less. The only time you have to be FP, is for the initial climb, hold entry, track intercept (approach) and the initial climb of the overshoot and landing from the last approach. The rest of the flight can be his (they don't get to fly much anymore), under your supervision and direction. You'll be busy planing, thinking and talking. It takes a while to get use to, but once you understand the principle, you're not gonna want to go back to doing it all by yourself.

I have my group 1 but from my experience and from talking to others, every examiner seems to be fairly different. I was pretty much totally on my own. He did help me out when I asked for certain pages in the CAP, CFS etc. But be careful....he tried to be tricky and give me the precision approach plate for a non-precision to the same runway. Basically treat you like they are a passenger. But i've had friends who have had an examiner who's changed radios, set HSI's and the whole works......so it's hard to say I guess.

Maybe give my group IV a crack this winter. :up:

The helicoper IFR ride is multi-crew, but don't let that put you off - just get used to asking for things to be done. It isn't really what I would call a CRM atmosphere.

Just ensure that the school preps you for a standard TC ride - a lot of them have their own "isms" that can be quite confusing if you have some experience. If you haven't you probably wouldn't notice anyway.

And you're right, it isn't worth the investment, but if you have some tax money to lose.....

Phil

The TC inspectors in prairie region understand that you will not be flying single pilot IFR right out of the gate...but if you do, the ship will be equipped for it...it won't be in a jetbox, R22 or the equivalent. I agree with AR, it's not a real crew concept, but if you have a good pre-flight brief and demonstrate knowledge and assurance, they will not try to get you.

The guys are realistic and fair. They will follow the briefing and your directions to the letter. :up:

I agree - the ride is not difficult, and you're not expected to be a seasoned professional, as you are in th JAR world. The best tip I can give you is get as familiar as you can with the machine you will be doing the test on, as you don't want to look like a dork when you are searching for the switches!

Another one is to check the compass deviation before doing the non-precision approach, as a bad one can put you a couple of miles off if you forget. If you get a hydraulic failure on that one, also ask the "co-pilot" to recalculate the timing, as you will be slower - otherwise, it's a go-around

Good luck!

Phil