Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Fuel Caps?

No hot refueling, on most seismic shows. Don't even try it, if its a major oil companys show.

That elbow on a jet-buggy has soaked so many people, its not even funny anymore. And the $800 cap on a chain that beats the side the machine. WTF where they thinking.

Whats wrong with a locking cap? Keeps the indians out. Most of the time.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i'd like to watch while you tell that to forestry or a seismic company :lol:

Don't even consider hot fueling with USFS. You will be out the door in a heartbeat. In fact you don't even leave the machine until the blades have come to a COMPLETE stop!!

Better brush up on the rules there Amphibious before you get back from Haiti.

I can see the day when hot fueling will be illegal across Canada. It only makes sense. I have never been in favour of hot refueling. Such a stupid practice. How much time do you really save and for who. Why would you want to risk your life, your machine, and your passengers to save a 2 minute cooldown so the customer can save .01 flight time. Stupid, stupid, stupid!!!

Now, pressure hot refueling is another story. Closed system, chance of a spill greatly reduced. Even then, check what is required as far as safety personel. By the time you pay all the extra people required it's probably not worth it.

Nope, I've seen to many machines toasted over the last 50 years to even consider hot refueling.

Hot refueling??? Dumb, dumb, dumb, Stupid, stupid, stupid.

For all you Crackerjack Pilots out there that think you are doing someone or yourself a favour by hot refueling, put this one in the bank. It's just a matter of time. WHOOF!!! And if you think you will put out the fire with that piddly-arsed fire extinguisher you carry, forget it!! Best advice--Run like H-ll and hope you get away.

John Nixon

In every single company I have worked for, the OPS manual provides for Hot Refueling. There must be a time and place for it. Used it last summer when there was 20+ heli's refueling at the same spot, use it on seismic and exploration, but the ops manuals all require pilot at the controls. Everybody has their opinions though.

In regards to the AStar cap, we have a couple that have the key attached just above the cap in the transmission area on a steel recoiling belt loop. Works awesome. Never loose the key and will hold the cap in most fuel nozzles so you can watch the guage(another issue, can't see the guage when standing beside the cap). Had more issues with Bell caps(407, 206L and 206B). It is bad to fill the Astar though, like the 500. Nice way to get a shower of jetfuel. :angry:

koala

Many people think the BCFS is one of the best fire fighting institutions in the world. Hot fueling, hover exits, drip torches, and landing without a "landing officer" aren't done by the USFS.

They do night time fire fighting though with NVG though and have to keep track of every single drop they make :S

No hot refueling, on most seismic shows. Don't even try it, if its a major oil companys show.

That elbow on a jet-buggy has soaked so many people, its not even funny anymore. And the $800 cap on a chain that beats the side the machine. WTF where they thinking.

Whats wrong with a locking cap? Keeps the indians out. Most of the time.

Tried that once. They got me anyway via the sump drains. Clever basterds. :D:D