Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Microsoft Flight Sim 2004?

Ryan

Guest graunch1

FS 2004 is a game....Any reality between the real reactions and FS2004 are coincidental.

A very high time rotor pilot friend of mine was totaly unable to make the 206 fly properlyas it will not respond properly. So I would think that the Robby would be in the same category. With no real motion, no 3D view and no peripheral view the game does not give the complete picture and you will soon find that real dynamics play a significant role in the rela a/c ersus on a PC. I have found a number of the stiff wing aircraft exhibit wildly exagerated thrust/weight characteristics compared to the real thing. Plus most of the switches and dials are eye-candy only.

That being said, FS2004 is very good for learning flight procedures and actually getting a feeling for your point in space. Try flying lots of circuits in any of the aircraft - the cessna is probably the best. Use your Jepp plates, dial up the radios to the correct frequencies and start to understand where you are at all times in relationship to the runway. The cargo flight from Asia to N. America is a good one for learning IFR basic procedures.

Graunch is right regarding the unrealistic nature of the game insofar as mimicking the "feel" of flying the real thing. It is just not there.

What I do like about the program are the aforementioned accurate frequencies ect which include ADF & VOR. I find MS Flightsim useful to illustrate the application of an ADF or VOR to those who have read up on them for their first time. I would also recommend FS2004 to anyone a few months away from embarking on their first license to try the interactive video segments to better understand airport circuits (though they refer to them as the Amercian version "patterns") ect.

Also, you can enter a power off auto with the 206 by shutting off the fuel pump.

Guest sharky

Ya, FS is best for instrument training....scanning procedures, ADF, VOR intercepts and the like. Done lots of autos in the 206...did u know that if you fly at 90%nr and 60mph on the game, you could basically fly around all day! ROD is something like 200fpm.

• 4 weeks later...

The cockpit details are great in this game/sim. It's helped me learn pre-start, start-up and shut down procedures a little easier by having the instruments there to see vs just reading it off a list over and over again. The same goes for down-wind checks.

I wouldn't say it's been a huge help, but it has helped to some degree. Perhaps when I start doing more complicated instrument stuff like VOR's and ADF work it'll be of even more help.

As stated by others it sucks as an actual way to learn to fly helicopters, but that's fine by me as that's not what I wanted it for. The fact that I can fly the Robbie with just my Number Pad says enough. ;)