Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Shutting Down In High Winds.

I wanted to get your guys's experienced views on this, as i had a situation the other day which i thought would be a good discussion topic, and help with a relatively low timer like me.

OK so i landed on a peak with a fairly strong wind and had to shut down. The tail was hanging off the back of the cliff, with the wind coming straight up the mountain and over the aircraft's nose.

The aircraft ( 206 ) was sitting slightly nose up and while shutting down i got into thinking about excessive flapping and tail boom strike. Also because of the wind, the rotors kept on turning for ever ( No rotor brake installed :( )

What actions/control inputs would you recommend, upon engine shutdown, to help when shutting down in this type of situation???

Thanks in Advance.

I was told when facing this situation to move the cyclic in the direction the wind is coming from. Although not something you would do when the wind is coming in from directly behind you, but downwind landings should rarely happen anyway with strong wind.

Hey, I have shut down in some pretty rough winds and had blade sailing a few times, However never land the machine directly into strong wind (Always land into wind) but what I mean is once your ready to land just give a little left pedal get your nose 10 degrees off wind or so then if and when the blades sail thay wont contact your Tail boom, and move cyclic into wind direction slightly. Having said all that I ll always try to talk the customer out of shutting down in high winds or better yet drop them off and explain to them that you are going to shut down in a spot close buy with less wind, Perhaps on the lee side of the peak. If they refuse then just dont shut down you are PIC. Also one thing to note is the stress on the machine when the blades are sailing never a good thing. Well hope this helps

My 2cents

MH :punk:

The outcome of the shutdown was fine, even though there was some good blade sailing and a little pounding on the droop stops. It just got me thinking.

It was quite a tight spot, but im sure i could have put in a little left pedal to turn the nose a little off the wind.

I assume for cyclic into the wind helps as the retreating blade will be pitching up when it travels over the tail boom??

I also heard putting in full left pedal after engine shutdown will help increase the drag on the tail rotor and help to slow the blades down, although this sounds like it could put alot of stress on the tail boom??? What do you think???

well if it is more windy than what you had discribed , next time drop them off and wait at the bottom or 1/2 way down , its all revenue , but with out the pucker factor ,

if it was light like this time and they sailed and sailed ,you could always climb up and slow them down , but use your head , dont hurt yourself .

but now that you have experienced this ,,,,,plan ahead ... feel out the situation and act on it .

remember safty first . try to drop them off and they can signal you for a pick up , hand held radios are worth their weight in gold and you can charge them a point one for rentals , they usually go for that , and after a while they pay for them selfs .

well if it is more windy than what you had described , next time drop them off and wait at the bottom or 1/2 way down , its all revenue , but with out the pucker factor ,

I agree, the answer is simple, drop them off, leave, make more money and have a nice snooze in a calm area! Nobody will give you a hard time for doing that.

one thing to remember when shutting down on a Mtn top is to keep the nose and blades out of the up flow, pick a LZ back away from the edge, especially if it is a cliff where the wind goes straight up.

I shut down as astar at the end of the day in heavy wind one time and broke the bracket that holds the droop stop ring, what a god awful noise. I had been avoiding shutdown all day $$$ but finally back at camp I just had to shut'er down! It ain't worth it. I was US for a day and a half.

When landing you want the wind on your left (US built ship i.e. B206) to help keep the nose left and use less torque, however once on the ground, try to move the ship so that wind is from your right side.

This moves the tail-boom away from the lowest part of the blade's droop as it sails.

Move the cyclic slightly into wind, and return it to center as the blades come to a stop.

Do not use the tail rotor to slow the blades, as this causes a lot of things to bend in directions they aren't designed for, (at least not on the ground).

Once the main rotor is below the approved speed for applying a rotor-brake (usually 40% RRPM) you can apply some main rotor pitch to slow the blades. Do not over-do the amount of pitch applied, and lower the collective as the blades come to a stop to prevent mast-bumping.

Only do this IF necessary.....not everyday !!

Also, this should only be done in suitable winds. You will learn from experience, (or maybe have been shown by your instructor/chief pilot) what wind strengths are suitable.

If you find everything is going to h3ll, and starting to pound badly, you can restart the engine before the blades stop.....there is nothing harmful about doing this. Then move the ship to a more suitable shut-down area.

Don't forget to tie down the blades after shut-down......including A-stars !!

If it is windy enough to tie down a 206, then an A-star should be tied down also. Yes, I know there are 3 times as many tie-downs....but suck-it-up and do it.....otherwise you'll crack the star.

Was taught to put wind (after landing) over your left shoulder (US machine), therefore retreating blade actually becomes advancing blade and therefore wanting to climb. 90 degree precession law means the blade should be at its highest above the tail boom.

Sound good in theory but have had many comments on actual results.

Opinions?

Nutmix, yes that technique will work....however if it is as windy as this topic suggests, it will be a struggle to get the tailboom turned around that far.

If the wind is blowing at you from 12 o'clock when you land, the blades will reach their lowest droop between about 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock (US ship) during shutdown, so try to move the tailboom out of that arc......i.e. around to about 4 o'clock.