Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Travel With Lifevests?

Hello All, so in trying to give me a bit of a better chance should anything happen over water I have gone out and got a lifevest for bucket operations with a compressed air bottle. Now I need to get it from my house to where the helicopters are via major airlines. Talking to the girl at the Air Canada counter today she informed me they are a prohibited item. So how does everyone else transport their lifevests. Thanks CT

Hello All, so in trying to give me a bit of a better chance should anything happen over water I have gone out and got a lifevest for bucket operations with a compressed air bottle. Now I need to get it from my house to where the helicopters are via major airlines. Talking to the girl at the Air Canada counter today she informed me they are a prohibited item. So how does everyone else transport their lifevests. Thanks CT

I am a sailor / pilot / skier and I want to travel by air with my life vest / parachute / avalanche rescue backpack. Are there any exceptions?

Passengers may carry certain articles even though the article contains dangerous goods. Parachutes themselves are not restricted. Some parachutes are fitted with an automatic activation device (AAD), e.g Cypres, which contain small quantities of explosive material. Most of these are not classified as dangerous goods and are not restricted in passenger baggage. Avalanche rescue backpacks are authorized if they do not contain more than 200 mg net of explosives of a type which present no significant hazard and not more than 250 mL of compressed non-flammable, non-toxic gas (such as carbon dioxide or nitrogen). Self-inflating life jackets are permitted if they contain not more than two small cylinders with a non-flammable gas in Division 2.2 plus not more than two spare cartridges per person. More information of what is permitted in passenger baggage [add link to table 2.3.A]. For items that are acceptable only with approval from the airline, consult with your airline well in advance and also allow additional time for check-in.

Thanks guys, I was a bit confused as to why the website said you could take them but the woman at the desk said they were prohibited, I wasn't sure if it was a new thing. Now that I know that other people have flown with them I will take it with me. thanks CT

Never trust a CSA to know the rules

Guest Bullet Remington

A few years ago when I worked for a company that sounds like Bestbet, we weren't permitted to ship them to out bases because they were considered as dnagerous cargo! Despite the exact same model being located under every seat in the cabin. So IF we had a machine on the East coast that needed lifevests, we're were forbidden to ship them out by ouir own companies dictates! So we would take em over to the ramp, walk around and on to the aircraft and place the required ADDITIONAL life vests under specific seats. Then we'd called the out station and tell them what seats to look under for their new life vests!

I could and can't understand what all the hoopla was for!!

I have to agree 100% with gary's statement re'CSA's. I was trying to get on a -700 to head over to Vancouver/Abbotsford to go down and supervise the build up of a new -700 at the Boeing Renton plant when I had a CSA tell me that the overhead bins could ONLY hold 30 lbs of baggage. When i disputed that she said it was dictated by Transport Canada!! I had to get a Supervisor to enlighten her! AND I worked for the exact same airline!!

Some of them are just like getting one of those nucely wrapped eye catching presents!! When ya open it, there's nothing in there!!!!

But I do digress don't I!! Pull the regs and carry a copy with you, showing the site you downloaded if from!. Otherwise they'll give you a hard time!!

Good Luck though!!

BR