Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gallet Helmet

I ordered a Gallet helmet from www.Tigerperformance.com on Mon. May 10. I received the helmet on Thur. May 13. The model I chose was the LH 250 with two shields (yellow/green)

carbon shield cover, volume control, electric mike (with wind cover) hush ear cups, ANR, and 3 foot coiled cord. Total cost $2600 US. A lot to pay for a helmet, but what a helmet !!!!!

Excellent fit, great shields with great mechanics, superior sound reduction, and darn good looks. I am completely satisfied. If you order one ask for Sonny.

Helicanada have been looking for a helmet from tigerperformance as well but with the wireless set up did you find anything out about this at all? I just liked the fact you dont have any cords and from what I can figure out you can still make and recieve radio calls whilst outside the aircraft?

Helicanada have been looking for a helmet from tigerperformance as well but with the wireless set up did you find anything out about this at all? I just liked the fact you dont have any cords and from what I can figure out you can still make and recieve radio calls whilst outside the aircraft?

To answer your questions.

ANR does not cancel out Astar klaxon. As far as I know Noise reduction, ANR, is not harmful to your ears

I do not have any experience with the wireless helmets. I think you would be able to receive radio calls ...but would you not have to key a mike to transmit?

A mike can be keyed remotely.

All the electronics is doing is providing a signal to turn a transistor on that provides a ground source within the box. No different than pushing the PTT on the cyclic - unless the PTT is actually connected to an audio panel that actually provides the ground for the radio.

Another analogy would be keying up of an FM repeater by the a/c radio.

The problem with ANR, is that it sends out an amplitude to "drown" out the sound you hear, so in fact althou YOU can't hear the sound, your ears are taking the same beating.

This has been researched well over the years in the North Sea, were operators/pilots started to develop Tinnitus, due to noice. The best remedy was Helmets, with CEP (Communications Ear Plugs) which has 'double' layers of sound protection and speakers right in your ear.

Some find it uncomfortable, but this is something you get used to, just like wearing a helmet does.

Think of it this way, the US ARMY don't allow anybody crew their aircraft without DOUBLE protection, so Earplugs, then helmet with earcups.

Cheers

H.

I switched to CEP to have a lighter helmet and avoid batteries (ANR comes std w/ 9v 'transistor radio' battery pack which lasts around 20 hrs. I built a 6 x AA battery pack that lasted over 100hrs...). I like the CEP better than ANR 'cuz of the lightness.

Winnie: When two reciprocal sound waves cancel each other shouldn't there be no sound? That's the physics, anyways. When I used ANR I noticed a slight background hiss, which I attributed to imperfect noise cancelling. I figured this arose from the momentary delay inherent in the ANR detection-processing-cancelling system.

Opps! Sorry, thread hijack in progress...

Dick

Winnie: When two reciprocal sound waves cancel each other shouldn't there be no sound? That's the physics, anyways.

Still no sound, but the WAVES come through. Just 'cause we don't hear it, don't mean it aint there...

Anyways, I too wear CEP, and fell MUCH less fatigue on long days, iur hearing is the most important thing we got. People used to laugh at me for wearing hearing protection when using lawn mowers and snow blowers, but I guess I'll laugh last...

Cheers

H.