Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Banff Or Whistler For Conference

Where To Hold The Conference  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys,

Please disregard the previous posting. After having a good long chat with 407 Driver we have narrowed down the location for the Heli Conference to either Banff or Whister.

A few of you have asked about why it was changed from the Great Barrier Reef. Well even though we had it all in place, with sponsors, speakers, itinerary etc, we ran into the problem that it was too close to the end of the Avalon Airshow in Melbourne.

The bottom line is rather than try and fight it we decided to move it lock, stock and barrel to another location. Sun City in South Africa was one of those but the feedback I got from everyone is that they would prefer somewhere in Canada so thats what we have done.

After much consultation with 407 Driver we are down to two final locations and these are the resort towns of Banff or Whister. The time frame is the second or third week of November 2005. Therefore its in your own backyard.

Can you advise which location you think would offer the best to visitors. Thanks again and welcome any and all comments.

Regards

Heli Ops :prop:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the votes on the location guys. Its looking really good and the conversations I have been having with people at various resorts has been awesome. True Canadian hospitality. The one resort which is bending over backwards to have us there is the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise and their rates they have given us will ensure that even the most lowliest paid student pilot will be able to attend. Here is the link to their website, have a look and tell me what you think of it.

Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise

They said the snow starts about the 1st of November so we should have a good dusting there by the time we start the conference. Can anyone confirm or deny this, especially those that live nearby.

Thanks again all and keep the feedback coming please.

Regards

Heli Ops B)

Good to see that someone else has a good opinion of the place. Once we finalise the actual seminar schedule will post it here and when this is done it will be locked into place. Again we welcome feedback from anyone who wishes to give it.

Regards

Heli Ops

Both locations would be great.... a few points to add about each.

If you fly in on an airline, you don’t need a car once you get to Whistler. Everything is in walking distance, or you can use the free shuttle that does the loop around the village. There is a also a huge selection of condos available in/around the village. This means full kitchen facilities for those that are trying to save a bit on eating out 3 meals a day.

Whistler also has a Heli-port, so if there are any "Full scale displays" this would be a huge plus for any manufacturers interested in doing demo flights. There is also an airport located in Pemberton (25 min drive) for any plank drivers that may attend.

Another point is that there must close to 20 helicopter companies within a two hour drive of Whistler.

The Fairmont at Lake Louise is about a 45 min drive from Banff, it's an amazing place to be sure, but not quite so convient as staying right in town.

Unfortunately there isn’t an airport/heliport in Banff or Lake Louise. There is one in Canmore (only 15 min from Banff) but not really suited for many transient aircraft.

Not sure of the availability of condos right in Banff, although I am pretty sure there is a good selection in Canmore.

Not nearly as many local operators in the Banff/ Calgary area compared to Whistler/ Vancouver.

There are many more considerations of course, I live in Whistler (as you may have guess by my somewhat biased post!!) and am more than happy to help with any questions people have about the area....

DMNH

I see a lot of people have voted for Banff over Whistler, could you explain your reasoning why. This will help us to make a very informed decision about the final location.

Now also are you voting for Banff itself or for the location of Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise. Thanks again for your feedback.

Heli Ops

412driver and DMNH,

I have never been to Whistler so I am not sure what you mean when you say that Whistler is more convenient than Lake louise. Are there any scheduled flights into or near Whistler other than Vancouver? Don't you still need to rent a car to get to Whistler?

I know Lake Louise is an easy two hour drive out of Calgary for those that will fly in on a scheduled carrier and then rent a car. Also I am not sure how the upcoming road construction to the Sea to Sky highway will effect travel to Whistler by next fall. DMNH, you being from Whistler you probably have an idea about that.

Like I have already said, I have never been to Whistler. I do drive by Lake Louise about once a month though, which would make it more convenient for me. So if the conference were to end up in Whistler, well this would be a good excuse for me to go there. :D

Cheers!

The general feedback I seem to be getting is that Banff would be the ideal location. There have been some great points made for both locations and I suppose the one way to decide once and for all is to make a trip to visit some of the possible resorts and decide from there.

Now what sort of facilities do you think each resort should have. And Yes I know a great bar and plenty of booze on top is top of the list, as well as some great Ribs for CTD.

The reason for this is since it is in Canada we want to try and get as many attendees from Canada as possible.

We are slowly being convinced that it should be held within Banff and not out at the Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise.

Thanks again for everyones feedback on this.

Heli Ops