Banff Or Whistler For Conference

Where To Hold The Conference  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have lived in Whistler and I now live in Canmore 15 min. east of Banff.

For obvious reason I'd like to see the conference in Banff. I think Lake Louise is a little too out of the way. It is a spectacular venue but it is a very small community.

Banff would have much more to offer with respect other activities and can accomodate lots of people. Check rates at the Banff Springs. Nov. is a really dead time of year. Also Calgary is just over an hour east of Banff.

I think that Whistler might be more helicopter friendly as it is not inside a national park. But if you don't plan to bring in any helicopters then it wouldn't matter.

Either way the visiters will have a fantastic time. Thanks for choosing Canada!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The road closures are not a big deal. Whistler survives on things like this, and the government that collects the taxes knows it. There are no closures on weekends and the major closures are in the middle of the night.

Choose as you may, but the road to Whistler shouldn't be a big issue.

http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/roadreports/roadre...ename=hwy99.txt

4961 - Do you have any contact details for the people running the Heliport there in Whistler. Also what do you think of the following hotel:

Fairmont Chateau Whistler

The reason I am looking at this one as the primary hotel if we hold it in Whistler is that the Fairmont people have been awesome to deal with, no matter if it was Banff, Whistler or Lake Louise.

Is it located quite handy to everything. Thanks for your help.

Heli Ops

Either one is great. You can't miss. Basically these are equal resort communities with Whistler being to Vancouver what Banff is to Calgary. I like both and will also point out that Calgary, being 60 min from Banff may offer relatively cheap rooms (maybe not as cheap as 350's's hide-a-bed mind you), for those unable to score a reasonable rate in Banff itself it that is to be the venue. Otherwise, both spots offer great views, shops, restaurants and hiking.

100'

I may have been somewhat misleading, and not have told the whole story about the Banff airstrip.....

YES - it is Open.

YES - the local fixed wings are using it freely.

YES - there are several local aircraft tied down there.

There has been much controversy over airstrips in the National Parks in the past, but Parks Canada have not legally challenged anyone for using them. They attempted to close Banff and Jasper years ago, but met with a very organized group of local opponents, who had excellent legal representation, PC promptly backed down.

Also, bear in mind CYBA is no more than a 3,000 strip of grass "Elk Pasture" along the TCH, no services, no security, only Elk and Gophers!

The place to park would definitley be the Canmore Heliport, with Jet A service, Phones, etc. Only a 15 minute drive or a 5 minute flight away.

Thanks for all of the great feedback guys. Now how about giving me your feedback on what we need to take into consideration, from your standpoint, for this conference, so that YOU would attend. I know what I need to look at from my side but would be interested in your comments.

Regards

Heli Ops

4961 - Do you have any contact details for the people running the Heliport there in Whistler. Also what do you think of the following hotel:

Fairmont Château Whistler

The reason I am looking at this one as the primary hotel if we hold it in Whistler is that the Fairmont people have been awesome to deal with, no matter if it was Banff, Whistler or Lake Louise.

Is it located quite handy to everything. Thanks for your help.

Heli Ops

The heliport is operated by the Whister Heliport Society, headed up by John Hetherington. Phone number is in the Canadian Flight Supplement. I can easily get a contact phone number for you, I just don't have a sup on hand.

The Château Whistler is probably the premiere hotel in Whistler, very nice. Pool, gym, bar, restaurants. It's located at the base of Blackcomb mountain, about a seven minute walk into the main village. This is a good thing as it's just slightly out of the way. You would not need a car if you were to be staying at the Château and wanted to spend all your time in the main village.

You would not be making a mistake by going to this shack.

The heliport is about ten kilometres north of town. The only full time operation there is Blackcomb Helicopters 604 938 1700. Base manager is Dave Brolin. All good lads (I worked there for six years)

I'll PM you my contact information if you would like to talk in person. ;)

Either one is good, either one is very nice scenery, but I would go with Banff, but then again their is not as many heli operators as opposed to Whistler (and Whistler has the YVR to Whistler by helijet flight that is a tour I believe) and both are about the same time from a major intl airport, but Banff yea. their i go rambling on again...... :rolleyes:

Matt

future heli pilot.

My vote is for Banff. Such a great place, easy access and reasonable! Canmore is very close, for those who want to bring their personal helicopters, Alpine has a great heliport there and the scenery is wonderful.

Topics? Hmmmm, Of course, Safety, Risk Management, Industry News(from around the world.) Then we all can play Cdn drinking games and chase the locals around!!