Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sms Works And This Is How...

SMS quick poll   

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm currently researching SMSs and I wanted to reach out to operators who have a system up and running where the SMS has improved your operation, increased safety and your safety culture... or on the flip side, if you've attempted to implement an SMS and it's a paperwork exercise to meet the regulator's requirements or it's there to reduce your insurance costs.

I'm working on an article for SMSs and would like to incorporate blog information into the article.

Thanks to everyone who reads and posts information. If you would like to email me information, or would like to be interviewed for the SMS article, drop me a line at brent@verticalmag.com.

Thanks,

Brent

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that a good thing though? correct me if i'm wrong, the intent of the SMS is to identify potential problematic issues within an operation, address the issues and implement corrective actions to prevent future mishaps? I suppose with a small operator, 1 helicopter and a couple folks, maybe it doesn't make sense.

Who has implemented an SMS program that has had a measure impact on their operation?

As Chopterlol pointed out, yeah, it's attitude... and a lot of that is set from the top, the guys in charge making safety their priority.

Thanks,

Brent

I don't think the intent is to 'decrease' the safety, just that the SMS as it stands is not the solution for the smaller companies.

CASO's are still required, but due to a lack of courses, noone has them, and transport are granting exemtions. After all, THEY (TC) are the ones that cancelled all the courses they used to run...

Anyways, I think safety is important (obviously), but having a large and expensive program becomes more of a paper showeling exercise, rather than meeting the intent of making the environment safer.

Companies need to back their Pilots up more, and let them have final authority on issues of safety, and the PILOTS need to stick to limits, and quit the "lets get the job done at all costs" attitudes.

SO I believe, SMS is not right for small operators, HOWEVER, safety training, and responsibilities within the companies ARE required.

Cheers

H.

Whether it is pushed by TC or not, you will start to see (if not already) it being required by customers.

It is a good thing - is it perfect? - not yet, but we are better than we were.

It is attitude, (and money of course) and if upper management is behind it, you already have a good head start...

klw

• 2 months later...

SMS is cheap widow dressing, which, without effective oversight by the regulator is essentially useless. The Regulators are facing budget cuts resulting in less oversight, they are also increasingly aware of the cost of regulation - and by cost I mean the legal cost of imposing CARS in practical terms. There are numerous land-mines waiting in the form of law suits which the Regulator has zero interest in exposing itself to.

SMS is little more than a passing of the liability buck as far down the line as possible. I'm not sure how anyone looking at the bigger picture can honestly feel this is the best method increasing safety - it is simply not, nor is it a blanket fix-all for an industry as diverse and varied as ours, but it continues to be sold as such. Can it work? Sure, in some areas and with ample oversight. Is it a one stop shop for replacing the current system? Not on your life.

AR

• 2 months later...

I have been involved in SMS directly from the management side as well as seen a couple companies struggling to implement it. Yes it is becoming more and more of a requirement from customers and for insurance purposes. So far I have seen it more and more as a paperwork exercise that is overwhelming small to medium sized helicopter companies. There is the constant request for reporting, but no money to truly back anything up. Much of this industry is struggling due to poor economic conditions. Some are even struggling to keep up the cost of the paper work let alone truely implementing an effective, functioning, proactive SMS program. When companies can stop struggling to afford fixing a/c and have extra capital to spend on things like external torque guages, load cells, new windows that aren't crazed........ the list goes on depending on company, jobs and a/c types, then we might see true SMS programs that work and reduce and manage risks and in turn save companies money in the long run. In the area I work and observe, the poor economy combined with surplus competion is wreaking havoc on rates and available jobs. This further leads to less profit and tighter belts and financial pressures. I believe this will continue to cause SMS programs in general to be a paperwork exercise until things in the industry improve.

I truely believe that an functioning SMS program as it is intended will reduce incidents. However, there are many things that stand in it's way. Financial pressures, company management, company culture and customer knowledge will cause SMS programs to struggle for years to come.

Koala