Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Career Path: Zero To Heli-ski?

:D Hilarious Blackmac! That gives a whole new meaning to the sport!

Thanks again 407D and RM for the encouragement, advise, and list of ski-ops. I'm sure I'll have many more questions to throw in your direction in future!

Till then...thanks, happy flying, and more advise is always welcome!

cheers...GT :up:

Now I am new to posting and fairly new to flying (been licensed for 7 years but only flying for the last two years full time PIC) so I may not have the best advice...

As I see it, going from zero to heli-skiing is like going from street thug to kingpin... you gotta put in alot of time before you can do it.

I started as a co-jo on a heli-logging Bell 214. Now I don't recommend it as the best way to get stick time but it did get me my first REAL job last year.

There is no easy way to get those first 1000 or 1500 hours. Be prepared to operate a mop and broom for a long time.

As for heli-skiing, I wanted to do that when I first got interested in flying. I've spoken with a handful of pilots who do it or have done it and this is what I've learned:

- the weather is always a factor

- the intermediates used are generally A-Stars or 407s, which you won't get into until mastering a JetRanger (by mastering, I mean 1000 hours or more)

- you have to be mountain trained and have alot of experience in the rocks

- the guides, tour operator and paying customers will always push hard to go flying when you know you shouldn't

Still wanna do it? :huh:

Well, I've got 700 hours PIC now and I still think about it. :up:

Hey RB2...thanks for your input...always appreciated! Sounds like you're well on your way to what you want! :up:

Me...well, I'm looking into training and asking as many questions as I can about the industry. My plan is to stay west and keep the idea of flying heli-ski on the distant horizon...as an eventual goal. Any advice that you would have for this mid-life career changer is valuable advice! Good luck with the remainder of your season and fly safe.

Ciao...Gt