Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Longranger Advice

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These machines like to 'float' alot more than a 206B when they are in a low-power descent.

Therefore you will need to change how you fly your descent to get a 206L down to where you want it.

Also because of this, you may find yourself with a relatively low collective, low airspeed, and moderate rate of descent (e.g. as you try to descend steeply down into a bucketing dip-site).

This can easily cause vortex-ring state (or whatever you wish to call it), and your world is suddenly falling-out from under you.

So as mentioned above, fly a more appropriate approach profile, (and if you do get into VRS, hopefully you have enough altitude to push the cyclic forward to get back into clean air).

Quiz your wrench about the fuel system (and hope he knows it well) and be sure you understand it and what can happen with fuel transfers and lights.

As Phil says: believe them.

They don't like sloppy fueling procedures and sand will make you life miserable.

Contrary to what some will say, they are NOT just a big JetBox. Get a good checkout from someone that knows the machine.

Oh, and have fun...!

For practice (or real) engine failure- get the collective down quickly- RPM drops off very fast compared to 206B. during approach

A little flatter mountain approach if you can- machine floats along more than 206B until you are stopped.

Watch the tailrotor (or lack of)- everything into wind.

As previously said, our low fuel light comes on at 85 lbs from real empty on both L-4's. Take a week or 2 to figure out the fuel system.

B.M.

They don't like sloppy fueling procedures and sand will make you life miserable.

Contrary to what some will say, they are NOT just a big JetBox. Get a good checkout from someone that knows the machine.

They are however, just another helicopter, and as such will reward good-airmanship and flying skills, just like anything else. There is no great mystery to flying a Long Ranger. Some would have you believe they are a monster just waiting to catch you out with the fuel system or a slightly longer tail - it's just not the case. The machine talks well, if you listen to it you will learn a lot, particularly in the mountains and at altitude.

Any dedicated pilot will educate him or herself on the machine they're using before using it, and from lights to heavies, they will be just fine when doing so. I'm not sure where this idea comes from, perhaps people who have not been exposed to more complex machinery with real quirks, but the Long Ranger is a great machine to fly and learn in, it's pretty basic and easy to fly, it's not out to get you more than any other type of helicopter.

As Skids Up said, have fun, but again, like any other new type, give yourself some time to get comfortable with it.

AR

Be aware of your tail. The long dong is, like the name states, long. The place where you put your tail in the JetRanger in a confined area, may be too tight for the longranger. Also, they are usually tail heavy whilst empty and if you're not careful you could easily boink the stinger off the ground and chop up some willows with the tail rotor.

In my opinion, the longranger is the smoothest and most comfortable utility machine out there.

Enjoy the ride.

I

Remeber that the left boost pump is wired direct to the battery thru the fuel valve switch so if you are leaving the fuel valve on after shut down make sure the boost pump breakers are pulled as the pump will run with the battery off and you will have a dead battery in the a.m. ;)

I flew a L-3 for years and I loved it. Although that was before you started seeing A-Stars everywhere.

I agree with all the posts and will add my 2 cents.

It is a real "floater" on approach so you have to start further back. If you try to save the approach and get aggressive ie: nose up pole down..it will roll a bit laterally over the belly as you just presented a couple of sheets of plywood (belly) into the airflow. Not dangerous unless slinging but uncomfortable.

I found one had to be careful in turns when at gross weight as the nose has a tendency to drop in the turn. a little aft and opposite cyclic will keep it in trim.

Boost pumps and fuel valve / fuel transfer system must be studied and understood thoroughly. I don't know how many times a long ranger has been started with the fuel valve off.

The modulated start can be tricky especially in the cold. If you start to chase the tot you are most times better off to abort and go for re-start. When lighting off you must be patient and look for fuel pressure drop first before tot rise. Some have the tendency to goose the throttle a little more for that positive light off but then you will go off the clock on tot and have to chase it.

The nodal beam suspension makes for a very smooth and pleasant ride but I almost got caught once. I was lifting a heavy load with a four point when one of the clevises that was knuckled under let go with a jolt. Because I had full power on the nodal beam set up a resonance between the rotor system and the load. It was a violent vertical hump that was taking me out of the seat. Lucky I just put the load down and in getting rid of the power the resonance settled down.

I have also found that the Long Ranger is unusually fond of blade sail in a strong wind. Maybe not "sail" but numerous times the darn blades just refuse to stop.

The skid gear is pretty long and spindly and you really have to be careful landing in unprepared sites. It's also got somewhat of a suspension where it mounts to the fuselage. No big deal but when shutting down in a high wind the blades are flapping and the fuse is rocking on the gear, it feels like it's beating itself apart. Again..just uncomfortable. Speaking of gear, when you land and fuel up or put a load in the gear will "squat" Sounds bad and feels worse until you realize whats going on.

Like I said, a great machine (engineers aren't that fond of them) study up and go have some fun!

O.K. that was 5 cents worth,

Regards

Phil

I forgot to add that you might have a cargo hook that is mounted on a rail. If you have an odd shaped load that is a bit unstable, the hook will slide back and forth on the rail 'till it hits the stops. this feeling is transmitted to the cyclic and can be a bit unnerving until you get used to it. Kinda like the first time you feel fuel slosh in an A-Star.

The shriek you hear at idle from the bleed valve is normal!

If you see the tail fin at idle wobbling around...that's considered normal as well!

With the gear being so gangly, if you pack a bunch of mud on the skids you may pick up a bit of a harmonic in cruise as well. Just look out and you'll see the gear vibrating.

Just little quirks but every machine has them.

Have fun!

Phil