Oh My!

Date: 2010-06-28

Narrative: The ****** Helicopters Hughes 369HS (C-***), VFR origin/destination unknown, was conducting spraying operations in Langley Township when the skids of the helicopter contacted a greenhouse (4479 Bradner Road). The aircraft conducted a forced landing. There was substantial damage to the aircraft. The pilot was the lone occupant and did not report any injuries. The Transportation Safety Board was notified.

Narrative: UPDATE - The ***** Helicopters Hughes 369HS (500C) helicopter (C-****) was conducting spraying operations 1.6 nm north of Aldergrove when the helicopter struck a greenhouse. The skids were torn off the helicopter and the engine was overstressed during the pilot's recovery attempt. The pilot was able to retain control of the helicopter and remained airborne while his ground crew fashioned an improvised landing platform of wood. The pilot then landed the helicopter without further event. The pilot was not injured but the helicopter was substantially damaged.

Can you imagine what the radio call would have been to the ground crew....umm hey guys could you build me some new gear? I left mine in the roof of that greenhouse back there :P

Kudos to the crew for quick action in a bad situation

I had to do that a number of years ago. Wasn't even our machine.

At a northern base, the tower called our hangar.

One of our competitors had an incident and shattered a skid tube. Asked if I could go over and lend a hand.

We set up three drums upright. Then set up blocks of wood on for the hard-points on the helicopter. (It was a 206)

Lowered the a/c gently onto the hard-points.

I went into the building when he rolled the throttle down. It was fine.

I had to do that a number of years ago. Wasn't even our machine.

At a northern base, the tower called our hangar.

One of our competitors had an incident and shattered a skid tube. Asked if I could go over and lend a hand.

We set up three drums upright. Then set up blocks of wood on for the hard-points on the helicopter. (It was a 206)

Lowered the a/c gently onto the hard-points.

I went into the building when he rolled the throttle down. It was fine.

Ray,

Thanks.....For many years ago..Ft Mac right?

This thread just reminded me of a "gear" experience that I thought was funny in hindsight (aren't they always?)

Asked to pick up a 61 from the port of Houston and ferry to Washington State, I was to meet up with a US co-pilot on site. The machine had been sold from S Africa and shipped over, not a lot of detail was known about the maintenance status or what was done to the machine for shipping. We launched after running tests on the machine, and after a while enroute (getting to know the avionics package) selected gear up. Co-pilot reported gear up visual, my side not and the lights corresponded. No big deal, select gear down. His went down...and mine up! Did this a few times and yep we had winking gear. Co-pilot (who turned out to be fully incompetent) started going on about crashing and burning...me being a BC coastal boy am thinking no big deal, we're on sponsons, we'll just go for water in an emergency. Of course then I look around to see nothing but flat terra firma desert as far as the eye can see. Had engineers on board so decided to pick a spot near a road (just in case) and hover exit them (despite the growing vocal co-creature opinion) along with hammers, pry bars etc. and after some interesting hovering gyrations we finally had both mains down and bolted! Many laughs since about what went on in the cockpit that day!

I'm sure we have all had them..one of those "only in the helicopter biz!"