Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Time Building/instruction

flying.eth

I am looking into leasing an R-22 with a friend this winter and basing it in Pemberton, B.C. (just north of Whistler). If anyone wants to build time or do any kind of mtn. training it'll be at my cost which is about $175 USD/hr. with an me as instructor. I have 300+helicopter (currently instructing in an R-22 in Alaska), 4500+ fixed wing (wheels, floats, skis, MEl IFR) with many years part 135 exp. in AK. I have over 850 hrs. dual given. I won't be charging for the instruction. I believe the insurance is for dual only but not sure. I went down there last year and did some flying and it is not only incredibly beautiful, but an amazing place for helicopter training about anything you could imagine for mtns, river, lakes, glaciers, logpads, etc. While down there I would be willing to fly up to 8 hrs. a day, but there is plenty of awesome things to do there as well.

If anyone is interested or has questions email me back or give me a call (907)-240-0224.

Thanks,

Jon

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jon,

You're right, Pemberton is an amazing place to fly! I live down the road in Squamish.

Why are you not charging for "instruction"? What is the purpose of your endeavour? While intriguing, your post raises many questions...

Jon,

You're right, Pemberton is an amazing place to fly! I live down the road in Squamish.

Why are you not charging for "instruction"? What is the purpose of your endeavour? While intriguing, your post raises many questions...

There are two reasons I am not charging. First I like flying helicopters, a lot, and I don't get to do enough of it at the moment. I like instructing as well. I also have some employment opportunities for next season, but do not yet have the experience so this will help towards those goals.

I don't know if you've ever been to interior Alaska in the winter, but it's cold (really cold), pretty dark, and not enough snow. I like to ski a lot too, so if I'm not flying I can do that. I make a living flying fixed wing, so I can swing this with out making money on it. I figure it's good for the people building time, and good for me.

Thanks,

Jon

Guest plumber
There are two reasons I am not charging. First I like flying helicopters, a lot, and I don't get to do enough of it at the moment. I like instructing as well. I also have some employment opportunities for next season, but do not yet have the experience so this will help towards those goals.

I don't know if you've ever been to interior Alaska in the winter, but it's cold (really cold), pretty dark, and not enough snow. I like to ski a lot too, so if I'm not flying I can do that. I make a living flying fixed wing, so I can swing this with out making money on it. I figure it's good for the people building time, and good for me.

Thanks,

Jon

But not so good to the guys and girls that make a living giving instruction. I guess there is a reason 100hr pilots make less than minimum wage they have to compete with this kind of mentality. :down:

so it sounds like everyone will be wanting to log this time.....how will that work??? Just asking....

It'll work like it does at any flight school. 2 seats in an R-22, with one person instructing, and one receiving instruction. Both can log PIC according to the regs.

Jon

You might want to double check that if you're operating in BC.

I'm pretty sure both pilots logging PIC during training is just the American system, in Canada the student only gets PIC time during solo flight training (or during the flight test). The instructor is the only one acquiring PIC time during dual flights.

Just my understanding; if I'm wrong I will humbly step back and shut up.

You might want to double check that if you're operating in BC.

I'm pretty sure both pilots logging PIC during training is just the American system, in Canada the student only gets PIC time during solo flight training (or during the flight test). The instructor is the only one acquiring PIC time during dual flights.

Just my understanding; if I'm wrong I will humbly step back and shut up.

And you are 100% correct...

ONLY the FAA allows two pilots to log PIC if one is an instructor, it does not work that way here. if both are licensed, you will have to agree BEFORE the flight starts, who will be PIC. And no, there is no SIC logged either...

Cheers

H.

Mountain training with a low time american instructor in Pemberton in an R22?

I'm sure everything will be ok!

But I guess you get what you pay for! It would apear you are trying to get someone else to pay for your time building, it would only be fair to inform them that no pic time for them.

So 175 per hour for instruction from a non instructor who is trying to figure out how to fly in some serious mountains.

Good luck with that, and a canadian licenced pilot cant log pic in an N regestered machine.

rob

Mountain training with a low time american instructor in Pemberton in an R22?

I'm sure everything will be ok!

But I guess you get what you pay for! It would apear you are trying to get someone else to pay for your time building, it would only be fair to inform them that no pic time for them.

So 175 per hour for instruction from a non instructor who is trying to figure out how to fly in some serious mountains.

Good luck with that, and a canadian licenced pilot cant log pic in an N regestered machine.

rob

I'm not up to speed on the CAA regs, but pretty good on the FAA regs. In the FAA's eyes we would be flying under part 61 and 91. This is confirmed by 2 FSDOS and several examiners. Of course we have to abide by CAA regs in the airspace, but it's an N registered ship and FAA licensed pilots. Are you trying to tell me when I can't log the time the last couple of times I ferried helicopters through Canada when I was instructing or being instructed? Obviously if someone is after a CAA cert. it would be of no use for them to fly with me. I'd hate to start a US vs. Canada type debate, but how is it all the C registered ships can get away with not having a 133 certificate or equivalent while in flying external loads in the US, which is required for all N registered ships carrying external loads, same type of deal.

As far as mountain flying, are US pilots automatically inferior to Canadian pilots? While I only have a little over 300 hrs. helicopter and I know the mountains are Pemberton are serious (I did some flying there last year in the same helicopter). That being said we have some pretty serious mountains up here in AK and I spend nearly everyday in them (fixed wing) often landing off-airport where being able to read the wind and conditions is as critical as it is in a helicopter, sometimes more so as many days landing there would be impossible. Knowing how to read the winds and conditions is the one of the most important parts of mountain flying in my opinion.

Thanks,

Jon