Flying Fuzz

Guest graunch1

WRONG Batfink, I personally know one of the pilots history, and believe me, He was a well respected Commercial pilot first and foremost, but as you say, did a bit of flat footing it on the beat to qualify for the job. So is he a police officer or a pilot. 10 years of commercial flying and then a few years of patrol to qualify.

Pilot first, doughnut muncher second <_<

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

####,

York is civie, Pilot/AME is an outsourced contract, Pilots wear Police uniforms though, not sure if they are some sort of "special officer"or some status like that, but they are civ. pilots on a company contract to York Region Police.

tDawe

Considering the short time they have had the 120, how long will it be before a real police officer is the pilot?

A AMO can be contracted to look after helicopter but as stated in previous posts I can see serious problems with a non police officer pilot.

:elvis:

Considering the short time they have had the 120, how long will it be before a real police officer is the pilot?

A AMO can be contracted to look after helicopter but as stated in previous posts I can see serious problems with a non police officer pilot.

:elvis:

There is no "law" about whether the pilot must be a Member or civilian. The RCMP themselves have "waffled" back and forth with both since their start in 1971. Many of the RCMP pilots were Members at one time and left to go to civvy street. While there they became pilots and enjoyed a fairly long career in that milieu. They then decided that the pay, opportunites and/or security was better back where they had been once before and returned to "the scene of the crime" as a result. Yes there are "newbies" that are flying within the various police forces, but I know many in the RCMP Air Division and the vast majority more than "paid their dues" in our world.

Also remember that when you have to help some Peace Officer 'rassle' a prisoner onto the ground or in/out of an aircraft, you better have the legal authority to do so otherwise you just committed Assault and Battery and some smartass lawyer will try to have your butt for a trophy on his bookshelf. That's just the Crininal Code side........the prisoner can also sue you in Civil Court afterwards.

Guest graunch1

Let's see...We are at 500 feet, over a downtown area and the rubber band breaks. Do you want a 300 hr police pilot or a 5,000 hr commercial pilot jiggling the sticks at this point in your life????

depends on the recurrent training, If the do there Emercency training to the ground or terminate when its gets interesting.....not big on power recovery, u r in a flight envelop where ur head should be up and not glued to the gages so u not over speed and over torque ur little honey........

If the Emercency is real ur quite focused anyways....... So if the 300 hrs guy did it always to the ground and the 5000 hrs guy never Id go for the 300 hrs guy....

Graunch -------that pilot at 500' over some city or town has as many places to autorotate into (and maybe more), than I have at 500'-700' coming in to drop a Bambi bucket load of water. I usually don't fly from P/U site to drop-site at 2000' either.