How Long For A Ppl?

Greg

I'm in the solo stages of my PPL, and I've been actively pursuing it for a little over a year...with a 5-month period of inactivity last winter due to booking problems at my old flight school. Anyways, I heard of pilots able to complete it in 6 months, 2 months, etc... I'm just curious how long it took you guys to complete your PPL and how much did it cost, in total (taxes et all) and the rate so I don't feel outdone by some fast trackers ;) .

My goal is the be flying before winter comes. Currently I'm flying a C172P at $115/hour, instructor is $48/hour. Total to date, $9640.92. Achieving your dream, priceless.

Greg: Good luck on your training...mine cost $293.00...that's right...two hundred and ninety three bucks CDN pesos back when flying was fun.

$115.00 per hour sounds awfully steep solo but I haven't instructed for a few years. Normally you should be able to finish a Private course in about 55-60 hours in about 3-6 months depending on your availability. But you have to fly at least twice a week or you just drive up the costs.

Barney

Sadly enough 115 for a 172 is about right, at least in South Central Ontario.

Greg, It is possible to do it in less time from a calender standpoint, I did my PPL with the Air Cadets and we were done in 7 weeks, 50 hours per student. but we had 13 students and 5 airplanes, and we were the only customers, which makes it easy to be done in that short a time span.

Know the TC requirements and the flight test standards, Its a sad thing but no doubt some schools would be happy to see students stick around to 60 + hours when they were ready to go at 45. :down:

tDawe

Greg, my advice is not to bother with what other people have done, or paid. Keep asking such questions and sure enough you will encounter someone who claims that you got ripped off, or your instructor is useless, or you are useless. The only result will be that you feel bad ... and there's no point to that.

It sounds as though you are happy with the instruction that you're receiving and the prices that you're paying, so just enjoy the fulfilment of your dream, and don't worry about keeping up with the Jones.

If you are currently solo and have the time and money to fly regularly, I see no particular reason why you shouldn't complete the license by the end of November. But rather than simply hoping, it might make sense to sit down with your instructor, tell him or her about your goal, and discuss in some detail exactly how the two of you are going to cooperatively ensure that you get there.

Good luck, and happy flying.

P.S. For what it may be worth, I agree that $115 per hour for a C172P is pretty much the going rate these days.

Greg ----good advice from Swingline. I got mine back "when the air was clean and sex was dirty", so you wouldn't even relate to my figure paid. Keep at her steady each week or else you'll spend part of your next first hour "re-capping" what you lost while sitting around........and that's also normal.