Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dom/prm Minumum Requirements

Heli-Hound

Just a quick question out there. CAR's states that a DOM/PRM must have minumum 6 years experience in the performance or direct supervision of maintenance. It does not state that the person must hold a valid AME license, or endorsements on the AC being maintained. Simply that they have experience doing or supervising that maintenance. So what qualify's for the experience, would taking your apprenticeship tech school, in which they credit you 18 months towards your license count as part of that 6 years experience? What counts and What doesnt?

Unfortunately, the requirements have changed. TC will allow almost anyone become a DOM now, all you have to do is pass the test and an interview from TC and have an AME licence or pass the CAR's for DOM test if you're not licenced. As for the PRM, it can be pretty much anyone involved with the maintenance or planning, don't even have to be licenced. Because of the lack of experienced people willing to do the DOM jobs, they are now evaluated on a case by case basis. A DOM can be PRM or you can have a DOM and a PRM or just a PRM if you don't have an AMO I think. Most companies will still stick to the 6 year licenced rule because they like the experience but if you're looking for a puppet DOM you can just take your least useful AME off the floor, sit him behind a desk, get him to pass the required TC tests and voila.

Unfortunately, the requirements have changed. TC will allow almost anyone become a DOM now, all you have to do is pass the test and an interview from TC and have an AME licence or pass the CAR's for DOM test if you're not licenced. As for the PRM, it can be pretty much anyone involved with the maintenance or planning, don't even have to be licenced. Because of the lack of experienced people willing to do the DOM jobs, they are now evaluated on a case by case basis. A DOM can be PRM or you can have a DOM and a PRM or just a PRM if you don't have an AMO I think. Most companies will still stick to the 6 year licenced rule because they like the experience but if you're looking for a puppet DOM you can just take your least useful AME off the floor, sit him behind a desk, get him to pass the required TC tests and voila.

Transport Canada Inspectors are bound by the same regulations that we are. A candidate must meet the minimum requirements in order to hold the position. If someone is "walked" through an interview, or doesn't hold the minimum qualification or experience level and TC passes them through, then TC holds some responsibility for any infractions of maintenance or maintenance control that the company perpetuates.

I have been a DOM, and I can tell you Helian, That I was never a puppet.

Helihound in answer to your question... I am not 100% sure on the answer.

I do know that to act as a PRM (person responsible for maintenance) in a flying operation there is no requirement to be an AME. The experience level would be what the CAR's state (which is if I recall..5 years).

Non AME's must be able to pass a Regulations Exam and an Interview by TC maintenace and manufacturing Inspectors.

AME's need only pass an Interview by TC M&M Inspectors.

The 5 year rule applies to both as I understand the regs though.

Understand though, that the difference between being a PRM for a small outfit flying 2 or 3 aircraft and being a DOM for a company flying several aircraft are two completely different job descriptions, even though TC doesn't separate the two.

In the real world a PRM and a DOM are very different. In the TC world the titles are interchangeable. Yay....

You would need to talk to your local TC office, but remember....If the regulations say you can do it, they are obligated to approve it as long as the requirements are met. They do not have the power to make a judgement call. If all the requirements are met they must authorize it.

Pretty simple.

hope this answers your question.

cheers,

RTR

Got a little jaded there, just speaking from past experiences.

As for the time requirements, they can be levied for certain cases but the standard is to be licenced for 6 years, does not include schooling or apprenticeship time. Type endorsements are not required unless you plan on signing a maint release. It's difficult to interpret the reg's sometimes as they apply to all types and sizes of operations. what works for A big airline probably won't transfer over to a single plane bush operator.

ex: pilot has helicopter and wants to start own company, he can be the PRM meaning that he must track and arrange for maintanence to be carried out on helicopter by an appropriately rated shop. pilot does not need to have any experience, he just has to show TC that someone is looking after it via the ops manual.

ex 2: A large company with a commercial AOC and an AMO must have a DOM and a PRM. PRM can still be whomever but the DOM must be approved by TC through test and interview. The DOM is usually the PRM but I have seen them as two seperate positions before for handling larger fleet.

Then you can get into the "interim or acting" DOM if you can't find someone to do the job or while the real DOM has quit/been fired, is sick or when on vacation. It's all rather confusing at first but TC is always happy to answer any questions you might have.

RTR, I was only talking about one scenario, not all DOM's. I have worked under some really outstanding DOM's but it only takes one bad apple to spoil the bunch. I plan on being a DOM one day and I can assure you I am no puppet either, in fact my one downside is that I do like to speak my mind a little too often but hey, nobody's perfect.

Cheers,

I

The TC website has their MPL (Maintenance Policy Letters). Go to MPL-16 which clearly states that credit can be given for time spent while attending an appproved basic training course. It would then seem logical that all your time spent at an approved course such as Northern Lights College, SAIT, or wherever else, as well as your time spent in training to become an AME (remember there is no such thing as an "Apprentice AME"), would be able to be counted towards the six year experience requirement of CAR 573. Whether that's enough time vs six years as a licensed AME is a subjective matter, dependent on the individual, and of course the support from the certificate holder.

You sure don't want to be a puppet if you're to be the PRM, the fines from enforcement are too great for the individual!

It is still a case by case basis if you will, in that TC still must approve the nominee.

Hope this helps.

The TC website has their MPL (Maintenance Policy Letters). Go to MPL-16 which clearly states that credit can be given for time spent while attending an appproved basic training course. It would then seem logical that all your time spent at an approved course such as Northern Lights College, SAIT, or wherever else, as well as your time spent in training to become an AME (remember there is no such thing as an "Apprentice AME"), would be able to be counted towards the six year experience requirement of CAR 573. Whether that's enough time vs six years as a licensed AME is a subjective matter, dependent on the individual, and of course the support from the certificate holder.

You sure don't want to be a puppet if you're to be the PRM, the fines from enforcement are too great for the individual!

It is still a case by case basis if you will, in that TC still must approve the nominee.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for all the info everyone! I did just come accross this MPL as well, and it clearly states what qualify's and what doesnt. But to comment on a few of the other posts, Yes I agree the DOM can't be a puppet, I've seen that before and it's never good, even for the owners or OPS managers, they think they're getting what they want, but in the end when the fines start getting passed around, thats' not what they want. As far as the experience goes, I agree its definetly a subjective thing, which is the reason for the in person interview so that transport can get a feel for the knowlege level of that induvidual, not just what looks good on paper. 6 years for some people is not enough time, for others its plenty, and of course size of the company plays a huge role. Thanks again for the takin the time to throw your feedback out there guys!

I thought this might be of interest. If certificate holder has AOC and AMO the PRM of the AOC should be the PRM for the AMO. I'm sure there are exemptions accepted by TC, but here is the quote:

706.03 (7) If the holder of an air operator certificate is also the holder of an approved maintenance organization (AMO) certificate issued under section 573.02, the person appointed under paragraph (1)(a) shall be the person responsible for maintenance of the AMO appointed under paragraph 573.03(1)(a).

Good luck,

Sven

• 4 weeks later...

Well here's dredging up an old post. As far as I know in canada there is no position in CAR's that is a DOM. There is only a PRM, air operator or AMO the title is the same. On an interesting side tidbit I ran across a little while ago looking up other stuff. If your company has a QA manager then CAR's states that the QA manager must also meet the experience requirements that a PRM must meet.