Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rcmp River Rescue

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate to be the one who says it, but were that a civi operator - which it probably should have been - the disregard for CARS and the Flight Manual would have had TC all over it. Especially given it's on video.

Glad she made out, but there are companies specifically trained and properly equipped for this type of Operation. I believe the fine folks at Valley Helicopters should have been dispatched to do it right, and within the laws we're governed by. Had that gone pear-shaped and something happened, I wonder if the RCMP would have stood behind the pilot?

AR

Hate to be the one who says it, but were that a civi operator - which it probably should have been - the disregard for CARS and the Flight Manual would have had TC all over it. Especially given it's on video.

Glad she made out, but there are companies specifically trained and properly equipped for this type of Operation. I believe the fine folks at Valley Helicopters should have been dispatched to do it right, and within the laws we're governed by. Had that gone pear-shaped and something happened, I wonder if the RCMP would have stood behind the pilot?

AR

Jeez AR!!! Give your frikkin head a shake! A girls life was saved. What the h-ll is the right thing to do in your book? Your statement is beond belief. IF the "Queens Own" had done nothing and she died would you like to be the one to tell the Father the reason his Daughter is dead is because CARS rules and Flight Manual rules could not be broken?

Sorry for another "rant" AR but I just cannot accept stupidity today!

John Nixon

I dont think AR is saying nobody should have saved her, and I'm sure he believes doing it the wrong way is better than not doing it at all.

I don't know the rules for the EC 120 stretcher kit (if that even was a stretcher kit :S ) but this would have been illegal in most machines. There are other operators nearby with the right tools for the job.

I think his main point was that if this wasn't the RCMP transport canada would have hung them out to dry.

Jeez AR!!! Give your frikkin head a shake! A girls life was saved. What the h-ll is the right thing to do in your book? Your statement is beond belief. IF the "Queens Own" had done nothing and she died would you like to be the one to tell the Father the reason his Daughter is dead is because CARS rules and Flight Manual rules could not be broken?

Sorry for another "rant" AR but I just cannot accept stupidity today!

John Nixon

Maybe you should stick to retirement John. The world is a different place now, and "IF" something had gone wrong there, the pilot, the company, and probably even the volunteer SAR guys would be hung out to dry, bet your lunch money on it.

The only "stupidity" on display here is your lack of comprehension and inability to separate the emotional response with reality. I never said I'm not happy the girl was saved, but perhaps you need to be brought up to speed on the consequences these days - this ain't the '80's anymore more Toto....

To answer your question: "What's the right thing to do?" Call Valley, Talon, or Blackcomb who are all ready, equipped, trained, and insured to do this very thing. I trust that once you calm down, you'll see the point.

AR

Haha, that's awesome!!! Don't worry little girl, we'll just slide you in the backseat and I'll just reach my arm around and hold you in. :prop:

Nevermind the fact that there are SAR pilots that are on standby 24/7 in Vancouver and Hope who are trained and much better experienced to not just arbitrarily throw a stretcher under the back seat and just fly away without properly securing it.

(It's called a litter kit, you might have heard of it)

If you ask me it looks like it all started with a wrong phone call. Let the trained and experienced crews do the job!! If that flight went sideways on them in anyway she would have been killed.

DC