Sign in to follow this  
WTF_was_that

Rcmp River Rescue

I'd like to make sure my point of view on this is clear before I'm labeled an "armchair pilot"

Taking for granted that this girl needed to be flown out, and if the pilot was under the impression it was a critical situation, then he did what he had to do to get her safety asap. Nobody should be faulted for that. I'm not so concerned with the regulations, that they are more important than a girls safety.

The question I'm asking are:

Why did the rcmp decide to supply their own il equiped helicopter instead of calling the right people for the job? Like the above poster said, this isn't in the middle of nowhere there are many operators trained and equiped for these specific missions in the area.

Maybe it was already on scene or airborn and nearby? Or like Bah's point... there may be exemptions for them. Anyways, i'd let them haul me out of there the way the did it.... ANYDAY!

the Duke

Regulations, schmegulations. They thought that the patient was critical enough to be flown and not walked out. you should never rush but time is critical when it comes to lifesaving. If I'm injured and they decide to tie me to the skid so be it at least I won't die while some desk jockey sifts through mountains of paperwork to clear a flight in (just think of the gorgons from The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy). The EC120 is not well equipped for litters but these guys made do with what they had. Obviously the pilot isn't going to be blasting around at 120kts, they most likely just made a short little hop to the nearest meatwagon. Technically, the RCMP are professionals anyway so why discount their training? It's on video so we all get to pick them apart, if it was just a story you wouldn't even think twice about making negative comments.

If you want to beatch about regs, how about everyone that flies over water without proper gear.

Why shouldn’t they, ( The RCMP ) be scrutinized, are they NOT Pilots flying the EC120??? Is there or should there be a double standard in the industry. We, all now it was an improper maneuver, and if it where someone else you can guarantee that there would be a full on investigation.

As a past paramedic that has done rescues’ and saved lives via a helicopter, we always had the patients best interests in mind. Ie. Proper handling and packaging for “TRANSPORT”. For the what ifs!!! 10 seconds for a seatbelt

Just my two cents

Regulations are in place for a reason but at the end of the day it was a job well done in a tight situation. In my current neck of the woods, "Transport Canada does not prosecute Heroes". That is a direct quote from one of the finest gentlemen in the business.

My former boss once told me to follow the Operations Manual as best as I can but at the end of the day, if I have to bend a rule or two, to picture myself in a court of law defending my actions. Words to live by. There are a few times where I did do something questionable, as we all probably have, but I can sleep at night knowing that it was the right thing to do at that time.

BG

The level of misunderstanding or lack of comprehension of our industry on display here is staggering.

I can only assume most of you posting have never a) been involved in this kind of work, or B ) been involved in the process that goes on behind this scenes to ensure this is done properly, safely, and that all the bases are covered, or c) had anything to do with legal side of things when operations go wrong.

Anyway, carry on...

AR