Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Drugs & Bears

Guest bag swinnger

Guest bag swinnger

I had heard of a story a while ago, where some guys shot a black bear with a dart gun and then loaded it in the back of, what I recall was a jet ranger and took off for some where. and as you have probably guessed by now, this thing wakes up in the back in flight!

Just wondering if any body else knows more details about this or similar situations?

Never heard that one before,probably stank up the back. Any bear I have ever seen, I smelt him first most of the time. Heard a story once of a guy that took snooz in the back of a L while waiting on tundra pickers, woke up to bear trying to get in. The blades where apparently tied down to boot, lucky for him the bear was chased off in time, but left some nasty gashes in the Hull.

Never heard that one before,probably stank up the back. Any bear I have ever seen, I smelt him first most of the time. Heard a story once of a guy that took snooz in the back of a L while waiting on tundra pickers, woke up to bear trying to get in. The blades where apparently tied down to boot, lucky for him the bear was chased off in time, but left some nasty gashes in the Hull.

I can't see loading an adult or sub-adult in the back... too heavy.

However, back in '96 or '97, there was a certain individual flying out of Churchill that may have been the basis for this story. He had a Mama Bear in a net below the machine and two cubs (freshly lip tatooed, weighed and aged) in the backseat.

Both cubs regained consciousness in flight and were quite upset to not find Mama. It all ended well with the family being reunited on the ground, but you should have seen the back of the 206!!! Blood, green ink and ripped upholstery!!

HV

P.S. There're pictures floating around somewhere.

Drugs and beer and helicopters......right on !!!

oops...bears....ahhh, yes reminds me of my days flying 47s in the Yukon.

I had to take a stray bear out of camp and drop him in the wilderness.........well wouldn't you know we get into a big fight about who the better pilot is........

Before you know it we both fall out of the old G2 (we weren't wearing shoulder harnesses it seems), and start plummetting earthward at a great rate of knots !!

Luckily I had the reference material I needed and was able to pull-off another great recovery.......

here's the full story.......with lots of pictures for you guys that haven't been to university.