Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Favourite Planes Ever Flown?

''Seized rotor'' - the B25 was an absolute pistol to bore holes with, and even more fun than the training jets.

Choppers - I found all the Vertols (44, 107, 234) a pleasure to fly - really pilot''s helicopters, but nothing stirs my heart like the pure ballsiness, the room, the ''stuff'' and the beautiful old ''whop-whop-whop'' of the ''Italian Air Force'' (the 204/5).

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice avatar, Sir.

Let''s see...favourite air machine...

- I liked the H500 when I flew it, but I was a younger man and it was a Porsche

- The 205, 212 and 412 are right up there for all the obvious reasons

- Ditto the 61 - nice big office, but too much of a production to get it moving, and not a great fishing machine

- The 430 is nice, but not my style

- The 407 is the most nimble and best handling ship I''ve ever flown

- On the plank side, the Double Otter rules. I was watching the boys coming and going out of Victoria harbour last week, and it brought back all the memories RDM mentions

But I think my favourite would have to be.....

My desk. Why? Because...

- I can''t overtorque it

- I can have a beer with lunch

- I don''t care what the wx is

- I don''t always have to know how much it weighs

- I can hang up my coat and hat in a nice warm place

- Girls walk by often - they may snicker, but they''re still there. And they don''t smell like Muskol

- I can have a red wine with lunch

- I haven''t seen a driller in eons

- There is air conditioning

- There is heat

- I can have a Scotch with lunch

- My chair is ergonomically correct, adjustable, and comfy.

- The ride is always smooth

- My sunglasses are just to look cool - I don''t really need them to see.

- I don''t have to put smelly fuel in it

- I can''t start it with the tie-down on

- I don''t have to land to pee.

• 1 month later...

Would have to be the G159. Cruised at a honest 290kt true and would get up to the mid twenties without breaking sweat.

The Kilo Mike beacon used to be the IAF for the ILS on 09 here. It was 13 miles from the end of the runway. You could cross the KM at 9000 ft at 290 KIAS, set the torque at 100 psi and just throw things out to land straight in without touching the power. Speedbrakes at 290, 1st flap at 210, gear at 190 etc and that airplane made it dead easy.

The ''Huey''. Some aircraft are better, smoother, look nicer and more modern, but VERY few would put up with the same punishment. She brought me home alive many, many times and I owe her much that I''ll never repay. God Bless her and those that designed her.