Acceptable Low-time Pilot Pay Rates

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that as long as someone is paying you a livable wage and treats you right you are doing ok while you get going. Never for free as that is bad for everyone.

I dont believe that you should pay anything for endorsements etc. That's their part of the deal.

After you have cut some teeth and are pulling your own the pay should follow.

Be loyal to the company that gives you the break but remember, they have to take care of you too.

If you get a better offer, at least let them match it.

Well said.

First Job- 214 seat meat @ 1500 a month an 40 for food. When I got hungry I literally jumped ship and hooked turns. Dependiing on the replacement I could double dip a bit here and there. Shop time sucked though as I didn't live where the hangar was and I paid for my own room. But I did get a real 214 endorsement. Like I'll ever use it. But Jeff and Fred always powered me down on approach and hover and the engineers ( at least in my case) showed me a thing or two that served me well as time went on.

Second Job- 10$ hr as support crew with unlimited hours as long as I was driving fuel and/or doing something ie truck to truck. 25 for food and expenses covered. Moved up to 15 and 18 an hour as I learned to operate a gas plant but the PIC never panned out. The Operating end of things served me really well in my future "Real Job"

Third Job- Hired at 1500 mnth 25 hr and I paid for my endorsement (206) with a 100 hours in the first 2 years. I helped build their first new hangar, and rebuild and paint 2 A-Stars. Learned alot. I liked the management alot so I stayed for 4000 hours, 9 seasons, 1 wife (I still have her), and I made just shy of six figures my last 2 seasons.

Good luck and Fly Safe

PS

It is truly a labour of love and I still miss it alot. If you are doing it for the money you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If you do well with the right team you will make money...just not right now.

Zazu

PS

It is truly a labour of love and I still miss it alot. If you are doing it for the money you are doing it for the wrong reasons. If you do well with the right team you will make money...just not right now.

Zazu

Just curious...So does that mean you quit flying for greener pastures? I have talked to a lot of guys lately that say if given a good offer to do something else they would quit flying and take it for better lifestyle, money ect. I am sure all of us have had thoughts like these..myself included. Its like golf though…your game always comes together on the 18th hole and you are hooked! **** it!

:lol:

Just curious...So does that mean you quit flying for greener pastures? I have talked to a lot of guys lately that say if given a good offer to do something else they would quit flying and take it for better lifestyle, money ect. I am sure all of us have had thoughts like these..myself included. Its like golf though…your game always comes together on the 18th hole and you are hooked! **** it!

:lol:

I don't know if it's greener pastures or not. I got married nearing middle age and now have a baby girl. After 18 years in the bush I thought I'd try my hand at the family buisiness. I see them both every night. I worked my butt off to get a shot at my dream and spent 9 years living it. Don't want to be greedy and thought I'd spend some nights with my ladies and hopefully make a buck or two while I'm at. I still work summer pilot hours though and then some.

Fly Safe

Zazu

I don't know if it's greener pastures or not. I got married nearing middle age and now have a baby girl. After 18 years in the bush I thought I'd try my hand at the family buisiness. I see them both every night. I worked my butt off to get a shot at my dream and spent 9 years living it. Don't want to be greedy and thought I'd spend some nights with my ladies and hopefully make a buck or two while I'm at. I still work summer pilot hours though and then some.

Fly Safe

Zazu

Zazu

Good to hear your doing well and enjoying interior BC life.

Im sure you wont miss the winter flying a chicken up here

Take it easy

B

I think that as long as someone is paying you a livable wage and treats you right you are doing ok while you get going. Never for free as that is bad for everyone.

I dont believe that you should pay anything for endorsements etc. That's their part of the deal.

Be loyal to the company that gives you the break but remember, they have to take care of you too.

Well said

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds fair to me. What if the pay is hardly enough to live on? Just curious as to what an average hour mark is to start getting flight pay? What is the average/acceptable flight pay for a low timer? The feedback on here is great. Thanks.

1987 - expenses paid including food,$800 per month 15 $ a flight hour ( second year went to $18.00). The flight hours were slow for the first 2 years. Never had to pay for an endorsement then and never have since- even got the mountain training done for free was expected to keep bus and never complain or *****. If I got sent to the bush got an additional 20$ bush pay daily.

Not anymore, still broke, the divorce(s) didn't help. If your in it for the money think agian.

Enjoy the ride :D

P5