Airport Security

Gents

I do not believe it is appropriate or responsible to be discussing the inadequacies or difficulties that security may or may not have as it pertains to Canadian Airport Security, in a forum that is accessible to anybody in the world. Remember, we live in dangerous times and to borrow an expression from the WW2.

" the walls have ears"

If you have a concern or a productive suggestion send a letter to TC.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Trailing......edge

I think the spirit of HV's original thread was to tell funny,frustrating, or murderous urges we (all) sometimes feel in these post 9/11 days with security and lineups.........maybe the "voices in the walls" is a bad vibration com'n from that leading edge of yours.

LTE :P

There are no "experts" on this site. Osama Bin Laden and his gang can read and observe the same things I do. If they feel that they have the need to read our posts to get some "up-to-date" and informed info, then we really have nothing to worry about.......because they are more stupid than I've been informed. It also means that they do not read Canadian newspapers or watch our media. They can also search the internet and find plans to build all kinds of bombs. I believe we flatter ourselves if we think that we are informing them about anything, except some discussion about "hot-end" inspections or unions. :D

Well said LTE, and back to the spirit of the topic, there it goes:

Years ago, we landed with a Spanish Army Chinook in an US militery base in Spain. We unloaded the helo and of course a couple of cars that we took with us to move around town (civilian cars that is...).

So we went to the accomadations, got dressed and headed to town in our two private cars that had been carried in the Chinook. When we got to the gate, there was this american security personel saying, we couldn`t get out of the base on those vehicules since there wasn't any registration of getting into the base with them, so we tried to explain that we had flown them in a military helicopter. That was hard for him to understand :hide: After lots of explanations we could make it out without having gone in ... :shock:

Buen vuelo

• 1 month later...

I was on my way through customs to the states on 9eleven and had 2 barrels for fuel in the back with the ops gear,and when they saw them,I said they are for diesel and their empty,have a look.so off I go driving around the states getting eyeballed by every trucker...I was coming through Toronto a while ago when the girl ahead of my was stopped for the studs on her belt...the litre of booze I had was cool though.Studs beat glass I guess//

Transport Minister not worried by uniform thefts

CTV.ca News Staff

Transport Minister Jean Lapierre says Canadians don't have to worry about security problems at Canadian airports due to missing security uniforms.

"After reviewing the report with my officials, I am satisfied that all necessary actions on this issue are being taken to maintain an appropriate level of security at Canadian airports," he said Monday in a news release.

Lapierre was given a report by the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority about the recent misplacement of hundreds of uniforms and badges worn by screeners.

He says Canadians they have nothing to worry about and that authorities will undertake an audit of the current uniform program and existing controls.

The disappearances sparked fears they uniforms could fall into the hands of terrorists, who might try to use them to get close to a potential target, such as a jetliner.

Deputy Conservative Leader Peter MacKay asked Lapierre about the uniforms in Parliament's Question Period on Monday.

"These items, in the hands of terrorists, represent a real threat to Canada and her allies. Why was this government so unaware and so ineffective and why weren't the RCMP called in to investigate this breach?" MacKay asked.

Lapierre responded: "We're not talking about 1,100 uniforms, we're talking about parts of uniforms."

"You must realize that most of them are items like pants, like shirts. And when you talk about badges I mean, we are not talking about badges, we are talking about logos."

In the report, CASTA said: "CATSA issues 20 uniform pieces to each screening officer. There are currently approximately 4,000 screening officers who have been issued uniforms. During the period covered by the access to information request, approximately 75,000 uniform items had been issued to screening officers.

"A total of 1127 uniform items had been reported lost or stolen."

It broke those totals down as follows:

639 name tags bearing only the first name of the screening officer,

130 plain navy blue clip-on ties,

84 shoulder boards,

23 pairs of navy blue cargo pants,

17 navy blue belts, and

8 pairs of black steel-toe shoes.

It said the only complete uniform missing was lost in a house fire.

Complete article here...

REPORT TO MINISTER OF TRANSPORT - MANAGEMENT AND CONTROL OF CATSA UNIFORMS