Operating Outside The H-v Curve?

MMike

I'm really not sure what's going on in my neighbourhood. But there was an R-44 in the front lawn of a house 1 street away from mine. Now I didn't actually witness the landing, but from where it was positioned on the lot, it sure looked like it flew there (as opposed to truck/trailer).

There are 40-50 trees all around (pretty much anyway). So he would have been 0 knots at 40-50 feet, and gone straight down.

Ill-advised is it not? Is there actually some sort of penalty for stuff like that? (other than the smoking crater of course)......I mean in a regulatory way.....

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm really not sure what's going on in my neighbourhood. But there was an R-44 in the front lawn of a house 1 street away from mine. Now I didn't actually witness the landing, but from where it was positioned on the lot, it sure looked like it flew there (as opposed to truck/trailer).

There are 40-50 trees all around (pretty much anyway). So he would have been 0 knots at 40-50 feet, and gone straight down.

Ill-advised is it not? Is there actually some sort of penalty for stuff like that? (other than the smoking crater of course)......I mean in a regulatory way.....

Nothing illegal with that. In the jungle there was some places where the decent in the hole was done in steps because of the different canopies and they were as deep as 200 ft. From the top you could not see the bottom.

You will see some tall ones here in BC as well. Straight down to the log pad below.

And yes you are right in the H.V. Curve, commonly called "dead man's curve"

JD

After a quick look at a HV Diagram and using the data you gave us in your message, you would have to maintain a speed of about 50 kts and an angle of decent of about 35 degrees to stay out of the HV Curve and make it at the bottom of the hole.

Could be hard on the blades.

JD

I totally get that ya gotta do whatcha gotta do out in the bush. But this is smack dab in the middle of a residential neighbourhood. I mean seriously....this was a guy's front lawn. A good sized lot by most standards.....maybe 3/4 of an acre? But houses all around. just seems risky to do amid a suburban residential neighbourhood.....

MMike: It's a helicopter.