Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Registration Question

Just curious if anyone on here knows the history or reason behind why we only have C-F*** and C-G*** registrations, why not C-A*** or C-Z***? I've noticed

C-I*** on a few advanced ultralights and homebuilts, just curious if theres a logic behind it.

tDawe

• 3 months later...

In short, they ran out of letters and combinations of letters. "C" stood (stands) for nationality......"F" for the registration file. ....and then 3 letters. So moving the hyphen back one letter opened up a whole new range of combinations. It took some of the fun away also. I once flew an a/c with the registration CF-***.

I think you'll find it's an ICAO issue, rather than TC, and at least partly because Switzerland were given the 'C' prefix before Canada got any (or because they had more political clout back then).

The 'C-I' group have all been assigned, as suggested, to the ultralight and homebuilt category.

As Cap notes, you used to be able to get some pretty 'cute' registrations, before the era of 'political correctness' dawned. (I'm sure they never issued CF-**K, though. ;)B)

Hello and good day Cap.

Was just reading this thread and saw that you once flew CFASS.That was a twin otter,was it not?I believe it belonged to Bradly if I remember.Saw it in Resolute.There was allso another twin otter with CFTIT........

OOO the good ol daze...

Cheers Mini......

Guest Bullet Remington

C-FECE was a Cessna 206 on floats, over at the Shell Aero Centre in Cap's neck of the woods.

C-FUCQ used to be a Beaver, on floats outa Nova Scotia, and moved to Quebec.

Mini ------correct on that, but she's disappeared. The registration was owned by someone else and a different a/c type when I rode in her (like a Bristol Freighter....."ouch"). That was also in the days when some Captains said this to you, the FO..."You'll touch NOTHING unless I tell you to. Understand that and we'll get along just fine". We've "come a way" since then and I know few that would tolerate that now. Along about the same time-frame there was also another two unique ones.....CF-CFL and CF-NHL......and "Yes"......corprate a/c for those organizations. For some reason they frequented the Edmonton Muni a lot back about '67-'68.

The neat thing about years ago and registrations that I particulary liked was the "Blocks" of registrations that many establshed companies would get. As an example, if you heard a registration from the helicopter world beginning with an "O', "A","B", "M", etc you knew at that moment who they belonged to and maybe even knew what type of a/c it was. It could get confusing at times though unless you knew the particular registration fairly well. Example: AHY was a 204 that was the "flagship" of Associated Helocopters, Edmonton; AHA was the "flagship" of Autair Helicopters,St Jean, PQ. I wouldn't mind seeing it return en masse, although there are still a few "hangers-on" like Alpine. More power to them because I always though of it as a "classy" idea. That's another 'ol idea' from an 'ol fart. from olden days. :lol::lol:

Skids Up--------I think you're right. Many of those registrations have ran a gamut of different types of a/c over the years. The most notable of those changes was the registration "OKE" with Okanagan. It belonged to many different types of a/c within Okanagan.

,,,,,,,and did you receive the info you needed?