Pilot Training

jas600

I think you'll find that people will recommend where they work, or where they did their own training.

Depending where you are at, and if you want to move to go to school. Sometimes it matter where you did your training, but I don't think that is the case in most situations.

All schools teach to the same basic curicculum, and the only thing that matters in the end is that YOU end up with a license to learn more. Check some prices, look at some different schools, and see what you like.

Equipment is important, but all the schools have well maintained fleets. Types does nto matter as much, but I would recommend training on a machine that has SOME practical aplications, not just because a machine is the CHEAPEST you can find. (Cheaper is not always better).

Cheers

H.

No suggestions??

Hey Jas600, good on ya for wanting to give it a go! Do a forum search for all the different flight schools, there are numerous extensive threads regarding this topic. While you're searching you're also going to find threads regarding training platforms and all the good, bad and ugly that comes with that discussion.

Happy hunting. If you can't find the good stuff I'm sure someone will post links to said threads.

cheers,

+M

All schools teach to the same basic curicculum, and the only thing that matters in the end is that YOU end up with a license to learn more. Check some prices, look at some different schools, and see what you like.

Equipment is important, but all the schools have well maintained fleets. Types does nto matter as much, but I would recommend training on a machine that has SOME practical aplications, not just because a machine is the CHEAPEST you can find. (Cheaper is not always better).

jas 600:

Winnie is an instructor and gave you some good advice. Should you want to train in your own area I would give National Helicopters a call. Good people, good equipment.

Cheers Don

If you must limit your training only in Canada, I would suggest you look at Canadian Helicopters in Penticton - best in Canada (and maybe the most expensive) utilizing newer generation machines and top notch instuctors with a proven track record.

If you look outside Canada, ERA in Lake Carles LA has a fantastic facility - you might be suprised by some cost comparisons.

2 of the best in North America. Your odds of finding gainful empoyment post training in this economic environment will be greatly enhanced with training provided by the above.

If you must limit your training only in Canada, I would suggest you look at Canadian Helicopters in Penticton - best in Canada (and maybe the most expensive) utilizing newer generation machines and top notch instuctors with a proven track record.

If you look outside Canada, ERA in Lake Carles LA has a fantastic facility - you might be suprised by some cost comparisons.

2 of the best in North America. Your odds of finding gainful empoyment post training in this economic environment will be greatly enhanced with training provided by the above.

fair enough, those two wouldn't have been the ones worth mentioning in my opinion, but it's definitely a misleading statement to connect those two with gainful employment in this economic environment ..

I'd suggest separating the sales pitch from hard facts which is what some people have already pointed out. Instructor experience and reputation, location, #number of students of certain FTUs actually working vs. number trained (neat little indicator for puppy mill detection)

I remember a thread listing pretty much all the FTUs available. You're about to head down a long road of sacrifice and hardship, might as well start now, make a short list of schools you like, pack your car, go for a drive and visit them, see and feel the school and their machines, talk to the people in charge, try to see past the sales pitch, let your spidey senses have a say ..

worked for me, best time of my life

+M