Pilot Training

jas600

I was looking into Chinook. or perhaps another place in the rockies. just to gain mountain experience. any thoughts?

Chinook is an excellent choice. Very experienced (high time) instructors, good location to the mountains and ever changing coastal weather conditions. Class C airspace and many airports close by, gets one used to radio procedures.

My suggestion is to visit as many schools as possible to get a "feel" for how the school, their facilities, and people may work for you !

Good luck.

I'd tend to go with the school that suits you the best... almost every school out there is going to play the "High Time Instructor" card, the "In the Mountains" card, the "Best Machine" card, or the ever so famous "Best Bang For Your Buck" card, but if you don't get along with your instructor(s), for whatever reason, you're not going to get the best results.

PS, while I know several of the instructors at Canadian here in Penticton, and all of them are great guys with even better reputations as pilots, that's a heck of a lot of money to shell out for a commercial ticket.

Granted after you make the payments on the machine for the next ten years they'll likely set you up with a job after... $130+K for a $40K per year job (if that) isn't your best investment.

Most, but not all, of the companies I've spoken with regarding employment attribute their hiring to work ethic, teamwork ability, passion for the job, and salesmenship over endorsements or school choice.

Good Luck!

Cole

If I were to do it again. I would choose a school with instructors that has some real world experience. The instructors and their experience will teach you little things that you would not get elsewhere. So high time instructors with commercial experience. Chinook is good and you get to fly the 47. Also look for a flight schools with IFR training capabilities. The environment is also important and I would choose a school with access to the mountains.

A few that come to mind:

E&B helicopters- They hire students sometimes, + Mountain+ nice gear.

Chinook- Good Contacts within the industry- High time Instructors with com experience+ BH47

Canadian Helicopters Penticton- Expensive but they have been known to hire students+ nice gear

I would look within this group, but go for mountains for sure. It gives you a step up.

P5

So I'll put forth my company too then,

Central HElicopter Training Academy in St. Thomas, Close to Class C airspace (less than 10 mins away), IFR Capable machines, GLASS COCKPIT (Full EFIS Display), R22/R44/BH06 and AS355 even if you want... and IFR Simulator, with instructors who also has real world experience.

Challenging flying conditions in the winterwit lot's of fun with the lakeshore effect and so on.

Many bangs for your buck, real world experience, IFR Training, Challenging weather, only thing missing is hills.

Cheers

Harald

CFI,

CHTA

Many folks seem to be partial to the school where they trained... and I'm no exception. :D

If you're headed out west to check out schools, it's worth visiting Mountain View Helicopters at CYBW just west of Calgary. It's near the mountains - almost all my time was spent in the foothills east of the mountains, and we did fly in the mountains fairly often. The elevation of the airport is 4000', so you get some experience flying in higher density altitudes (with a low-power R22). It's also a busy Class C aerodrome, so you'll get lots of radio practice! There are a couple of real high-time instructors there who have extensive operational backgrounds, and they recently added an IFR program.

They also hire their students - but be advised that you're not buying a job by going to school there (there aren't as many flying spots as students so you have to earn it!). I was one of the lucky ones, and after I finished in January of '09, I spent that summer working for them flying sightseeing tours. Not only that, but long after I was done and gone from school and work, they continued to keep in touch with me with job leads and hints and such.

If you're going through Calgary on your quest, be sure to pay them a visit.

I've also heard good things about Chinook Helicopters. You also might want to look at Kootenay Valley Helicopters near Creston, BC. From what I understand, they're a small company based in the mountains, and Wendell is a very high-time operational guy. I'm considering them for some recurrent training and/or turbine endorsements, but I have yet to pay them a visit. Cole (above) trained there, and based on his blog it sounds like a great place to train.

Good Luck!

- Darren

• 2 months later...

I'd tend to go with the school that suits you the best... almost every school out there is going to play the "High Time Instructor" card, the "In the Mountains" card, the "Best Machine" card, or the ever so famous "Best Bang For Your Buck" card, but if you don't get along with your instructor(s), for whatever reason, you're not going to get the best results.

PS, while I know several of the instructors at Canadian here in Penticton, and all of them are great guys with even better reputations as pilots, that's a heck of a lot of money to shell out for a commercial ticket.

Granted after you make the payments on the machine for the next ten years they'll likely set you up with a job after... $130+K for a $40K per year job (if that) isn't your best investment.

Most, but not all, of the companies I've spoken with regarding employment attribute their hiring to work ethic, teamwork ability, passion for the job, and salesmenship over endorsements or school choice.

Good Luck!

Cole

couldnt agree more... if money isnt an issue this school is the most recognised for top shelf training