Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Africa

pilot5

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

East Africa lucky you, try West Africa, now that is a real treat!

Here are a few pointers you should try to follow.

1. Try to route your flight through Frankfurt Airport, and not Paris which is a total headache, by far the worst airport on the planet.

2. Find out if the country you are headed has malaria (most do) and if so take Malarone, do not think you are a super hero, I have seen many a pilot and engineer, who thought they were never going to get it and they ended up face down on the floor and the lucky ones made it home before they ended up in the hospital, unless you really want to see the inside of an Afican hospital.

3. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Unless you want to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks, bottled water for everything even to brush your teeth.

4. Go on the CIA website and find out the in's and out's of the country you are headed, the one I work in does not allow photos to be taken, and some of the guys have been caught and found themselves in the local jail for a day.

5. Things like credit cards may not work in your country, so bring U.S. cash (ie. $1000.00)

6. Most importantly have fun, not too many people will get to experience what you will go through so just relax once you get there (you will not change the system over here) and try to have as much fun as you can.

I hope this helps!

East Africa lucky you, try West Africa, now that is a real treat!

Here are a few pointers you should try to follow.

1. Try to route your flight through Frankfurt Airport, and not Paris which is a total headache, by far the worst airport on the planet.

2. Find out if the country you are headed has malaria (most do) and if so take Malarone, do not think you are a super hero, I have seen many a pilot and engineer, who thought they were never going to get it and they ended up face down on the floor and the lucky ones made it home before they ended up in the hospital, unless you really want to see the inside of an Afican hospital.

3. DO NOT DRINK THE WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, Unless you want to lose 20 pounds in 2 weeks, bottled water for everything even to brush your teeth.

4. Go on the CIA website and find out the in's and out's of the country you are headed, the one I work in does not allow photos to be taken, and some of the guys have been caught and found themselves in the local jail for a day.

5. Things like credit cards may not work in your country, so bring U.S. cash (ie. $1000.00)

6. Most importantly have fun, not too many people will get to experience what you will go through so just relax once you get there (you will not change the system over here) and try to have as much fun as you can.

I hope this helps!

haha, this made me laugh, I haven't flown in Africa yet, but I was raised in Nigeria and you described life to a T :D

I only spent 3 weeks in East Africa, Eritrea to be exact, about 15 years ago.

I flew from Abu Dhabi all they way across Saudi Arabia, hopped over the Red Sea to Port Sudan, and the south to Assmara, did a creek bed sampling contract, and then flew back te same route.

Get all your shots over here for where you going, and try to get as much info on the internet before going, as internet may be spotty over there, as to hostile activities ect.

Eritrea was great, no bugs this time of year and we beat the rains, which happen in the summer, as they are on a plateau about 5000` if I remember right, and just past the lip inland.

Assmara was like stepping back into the 60,s, and the town we based out of was like the 50,s rustic, basic, friendly, and just getting by.

Trying to get breakfast before 08:00 was a chore, and if you want more than 1 coffee, your viewed as being abit freaky, but manageable.

We saved the company 1000,s of dollars but converting our USD to local currency using the black market, and not by going to the bank.

Your expiditer will be your best friend, an incredible source of local knowledge, and a great go to guy for everything, treat him with respect and life will roll on, rag on him and you,ll get very little.

It,s a great adventure, be street smart, and carry lot,s of USD safely!

Have a great time.