Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

206 Tail Rotor Question...

Ryan

It doesn't invalidate the book, and comments like those below are completely uncalled for:

"The author's comments make the rest of the book suspect...(Sticky)"

My apologies. After rereading my post last night I realized that I was being a little flippant about a book that I have not read myself and that's not fair to you nor your book.

My concern for the way the tailrotor is described in that paragraph still stands though and Ryan is my case in point. He's now left with the notion that the 206 tailrotor can withstand significant abuse and will still get you home. Based on the strength of an idea, this may leave him just a bit more vulnerable in his future operations as a helicopter pilot.

Again, my sincere apologies.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, I didn't take it personally! I take your point, though, and I have reworded that part of the book. As HV says, I wasn't suggesting that bashing the tail rotor in a clearing then flying it home is what you should be doing, but it is nevertheless nice to know that your ship is that reliable.

Phil

Over the years I have seen guys flying around in aircraft that I myself would not want to be in or even near let alone 50% of a blade missing....my pants have yet to dry after reading that one...years ago I had the opportunity to witness one of the most bizarre flights in helicopter history to prove just how tough that old jetbox is.This low time 206 jockey was out working fires for his first season when we see him coming back to base...the tailboom is not the same colour as it was when he left.He lands and the boom is completly covered in mud ....as it turns out he landed in a bog to let crew out and sunk so far that the tailrotor had started to sling loonsh#t all over the machine.His guestion to me was not about serviceability of the aircraft but would I help him wash the mud off so he could get back to work.After trying to talk him out of flying said aircraft he washes it ,hops back in and beatles off for another go at it....returning later with the most beat up set of main rotor blades you have ever seen. He was finally ask to leave by the MNR....heard years later he was captain of a IFR aircraft...now thats perserverance or stupidity at its finest. :wacko:

a few points here and really in defense of nothing or anybody:

1) If one wishes to give a "learning" pilot a good general, over-all book, then I see nothing wrong at all with "The Helicopter Pilot's Handbook" Yes, I have it and have read it from stem to stern and the odd part held some "learning" even for an 'ol coot like me. If the syntax that Phil used happened to mislead, then I'll accord him that mistake because it's been made by a lot better authors than he'll ever be. Since he now acknowledges that mistake in syntax and intends to correct that, there's not more that one can ask of the man.

2) I'd also suggest that one meets this guy first before one "trash-talks" him because otherwise, it's a true injustice. This man has lots to teach me also.

3) I did the "southest Asia war-games" myself and have copious pictures of aircraft arriving back at base in conditions that one would not believe unless one saw the pictures. They defy aeronautical science to the nth degree. I came home from that "**** Hole' on a stretcher as a result of a crash that killed 3 and left me the sole survivor. My aircraft (UH-1H or 205) had flown 20 miles with 4' blown off the end of one M/R blade and two of us with a "death-grip" on the cyclic and collective because of the vibration and making 60kts ; 3 - .50 cal holes through the engine with the engine still making power and flames coming out of the power-turbine section; and 120 + holes from small arms fire in the fuselage. The rod ends finally had enough of that crap and the M/R and mast departed the a/c in flight and we went down 3 degrees steeper than a bloody ball-bearing from 300'. It took me 10 years before I could crawl back into a Medium again. So ya, the abuse some of these helicopters can take is beyond belief and DGP relates only one of thousands of stories that would make you cry or laugh. That's my particular reason why I get quickly annoyed when I see a 204/205 being abused because I know it will take it and say nothing even though she's a hurtin' piece of machinery.

P.S. The old C-18 didn't like temps of 95F and 75-85% RH so it was as useless "as ****" and seldom moved anywhere in 'Nam'. One understood readily why the Hughes had won the contract with the same engine.

Thanks for clearing this up for me Phil. Glad I bought the book as there is tons of good stuff in there for a rookie like myself.

As for the comment about me finding another flight school and a better instructor...why? I bought this book of my own accord. I came to my instructor with the quote I was having trouble with and he was as sceptical as I was. That's why I posted here, to get a broader perspective. It worked...problem solved.

P.S. Phil, I'm gonna steal my buddy's copy of CARs in Plain English. Great work on that one!

• 5 weeks later...

sharky ------- they didn't consult me at all on why they did that, the buggars. It could well be that the design personnel were Democrats and moved it from the Right side to the Left just to subtly annoy George Bush. The name ain't 'Charlie' anymore either....... the name is Hassem. :lol:

Phil

If you want some real support for the big hole in the tail rotor bit, pm me and I will pass on who to speak to who has a t/r blade in his office that has a softball size hole dead center with only 1/4" of the leading edge and 1/4" of the trailing edge still connected. Result of a mineblast under a 206 in flight. Was able to land with everything still in one piece.

I also second that the book in question is a very useful resource.