Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Interesting Video

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll try again. S.W.P.???

I'll hazard a guess that it's "settling with power"?

Hmmm.....Lake Tahoe is 6,200' asl. Temps in the summer can average 23C +....starts to put one closer to 9,000' da.

Have you noticed the wind direction? Do we know how heavy the a/c is ?

Looking at the coning of the m/r disc, (which lends me to think he was pulling the guts out of it) the direction of yaw, hard to believe it is not LTE ! :huh:

I dunno, Bob.

The S-76 has a tremendously effective tail rotor and the Blackhawk t/r is a variant of that design, I believe.

And yes, the M/R is coned, but much more so AFTER they hit the water, which kind of suggests to me he pulled the guts out it after he realized his mistake.

But two of them at once - formation settling with power/LTE - I don't get it.

And none of this explains why they were so low to the water so far from shore, with no reference, in the first place.

And VRS is? And the difference between SWP and VRS is??

Sorry, I should know all this, forgot it years ago.

If you trained in the USA, there really isn't a difference; they seem to both refer to vortex ring state.

Up here my understanding is (and correct me if I'm wrong):

Settling with power - where power required for landing nice and soft exceeds power available (i.e. landing downwind or misjudging density altitude when you're really heavy).

Vortex ring state - a combination of high rate of decent, low forward airspeed (below effective translational lift) and having *some* power applied; you're basically settling into your own downwash.

I'm a rookie, so grain of salt and all...

If you trained in the USA, there really isn't a difference; they seem to both refer to vortex ring state.

Up here my understanding is (and correct me if I'm wrong):

Settling with power - where power required for landing nice and soft exceeds power available (i.e. landing downwind or misjudging density altitude when you're really heavy).

Vortex ring state - a combination of high rate of decent, low forward airspeed (below effective translational lift) and having *some* power applied; you're basically settling into your own downwash.

I'm a rookie, so grain of salt and all...

Well Daz--for a self professed "rookie" you certainly seem to have your shyte together. Keep it up My Son and you have a long and happy career. I have watched many many Pilots over the years and every once in a while one pops up that gets my attention. H56(old fart), Polehog, Mike Semanic, Dimmit, Helifarmer, and a few others. These guys had a goal in mind from day one, kept at it through thick or thin and now are doing well in the industry. No whining, no breast beating (Oh woe is me!)