Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Where In Canada Does Everyone Work?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Working in Northern Alberta. Signed on to be a pilot/operator to keep working when things started slowing down at my previous job. Been in the industry for 3 years but current salary is based on being an operator and not neccessarily a pilot so I don't know if I can properly answer the second part of your question.

22 years in the business, 6000hrs. Work in Canada in all provinces for forestry except Ontario because I am banned as the result of "flying over a building on approach at an remote advisory aispace- airport". Ontario forestry are a bunch of wankers any way.

Work in all other provinces and overseas and earn 60.000 to 120,000 depending on they year.

Always busy doing something winter and summer.

Hold a group 4 with twin time.

P5

I only did 8 years of bush flying, my best was $42000 but that was long ago. I'm now home every night and hardly go into work, and make between $120000 and $140000, but been at it some 27 years. Fly about 400 to 500 hours a year. I think I've got it pretty good, but that never lasts very long. I'll be kicking around some third world spot this time next year.

I only did 8 years of bush flying, my best was $42000 but that was long ago. I'm now home every night and hardly go into work, and make between $120000 and $140000, but been at it some 27 years. Fly about 400 to 500 hours a year. I think I've got it pretty good, but that never lasts very long. I'll be kicking around some third world spot this time next year.

Bladestrike you do have it good. I want to follow your foot steps............lol. ;) How do I get out of the bush and be home more and make your kind of money, is that vfr or ifr?

Bladestrike you do have it good. I want to follow your foot steps............lol. ;) How do I get out of the bush and be home more and make your kind of money, is that vfr or ifr?

Definitely the at-home-regular-schedule area of flying is in the IFR world. In the IFR world the money gets good once you get into offshore oil, but the contract requirements for pilots is quite high. Some guys have luck going into IFR early, but most EMS jobs don't fly all that much and it'll take forever to build the hours you need to progress (EMS flying is some of thee funest most rewarding flying there is, I did it for 9 years, but the money is generally not as good as offshore) and like anything, even an IFR ticket is not a gaurantee you'll find any work. I'd personally recommend paying your dues VFR, get the PIC hours, develop a good work ethic, take every high flying job you can get your hands on, then with some hours under your belt, get the IFR and you'll take a serious pay cut as you'll be a first officer for awhile, but with the hours behind you, you'll be a quick upgrade into a Captain seat. It's a big step backwards for awhile, but I did it and it's definitely worth it in the long run. Those crusty old Captains that treat FOs like crap, which is hard to take for guys who have been flying their own bird for years, are a dying breed and you don't see them much anymore.

Did pretty much the same as Blade strike but without the Ambulance time.

I highly recommend that if yur gonna be a helicopter pilot you need all the stuff. IFR the whole kit. Definitely having the IFR opens up huge possibilities.

P5