Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ec 120 Versus 206l3

AH1

I would like to hear from AME's on this. How do they compare for maint? Parts availablity,

reliability and costs, quirks, suprises, etc. Anything else you have to offer also wanted. Once again, I only want to hear from Maint guys, the guys who are up at 2 in the morning working on them.

206 L3 vs EC120? that's like comparing potatoes and yams. one is bell, one is eurocopter. less maintenance on the 120 because it's newer and smaller than the L3. As for parts, you can get bell parts everywhere ec 120 parts not so much.

You could ramble on for days about the two ships, what kind of operation are you doing? Why the comparison may i ask? Do you have any more specific questions?

Thanks for your response. It's a difficult question to ask because of the potential to be biased towards one or the other. However, from an operators point of view, what is the advantage of each over the other. Just because something is newer, does it make it better just because. Same for something old. I know lots of people who are doing very well with old 206's because they're paid for and easy to operate and maintain, plus they are pretty much problem free now. Not so much with a new design. My quest is for operational costs, and any maintenance issues that have cropped up. Ship for ship, which would you prefer based on the pain in the butt syndrome? I don't mind hearing any comments from Engineers and Ops Mgrs. because they have more answers than anyone else. I'm not too interested in Pilot stories so much, more from the money and maint side of it. The purpose of all this is to make an aquisition/replacement.

Comparing the 120 to an L3 is like comparing a 407 to a 205, they're in two different weight classes.

As far as maintenance, the 100hrs inspections on the 120 are a fraction of the Jetranger/longranger. The 500hrs inspection on the 120 will take you a good 4 to 6 days (regular 8 to 5).

Trying to get parts from Eurocopter is like trying to pull a brick out of your a**, very slow and painful! Getting parts for 206's is easy cause everybody and their dogs has them, but then, everybody and their dogs has them so it opens the door to quality control issues.

Most of the quirks have been ironed out from the 206 cause it's been around since the late 60's. On the flip side, it's been around since the late sixties so its as modern and comfortable as anything else built in the sixties. There's a reason why people buy new cars and new furniture!

Any 206 customer that walks through our doors and goes for a ride in a 120 is instantly converted! In most cases, the 120 will save money because of its' speed, low fuel burn and cargo capacity.

That being said, when the recession hits, your 120 bank payments are gonna hurt! (remember that brick?)

The 120s have their issues too so it really depends on what you want as a priority.

If you want fast, confortable, sexy and expensive=120

If you want cheap, proven, reliable pick up truck=206

I agree with your points. More to the issue, if there is a need for reliability with absolutely minimal down time due to job requirments, what would the comparison, and that the work is no more than what an L could do, what's the best bet for not lsoing out due to parts delay and op costs. I'm personally siding with the L myself, but I shouldn't. I like tried and true with no suprises, but am willing to be educated.

If no other factors, other than reliability, are on the table then the Long Ranger hands down (for the time being).

However, if your competition has a 120 and they get the chance to give your customer a ride.......

Our experience has been that they will go from a 206 to the 120 but not the other way around. They'll gladly dine on Prime Rib when they're used to meat loaf, but they won't go back to meat loaf once they get a taste of the good stuff!!